Finished a chuck roll today

I got mine from sams. Like Bill said I had to ask for it. They cut chuck roasts out of it. The biggest problem I had was getting the chuck roll off of the grate and onto a sheet pan.

Craig, My smokewood of choice at the moment is what I have a good supply of. Oak, Cherry, and Apple. I have a bit of grape and hickory but haven't cut them up into usable chunks. I don't care much for hickory so I am in no hurry there.

Did a 15 pounder over the weekend. Started at 11:30pm (after the ND game). Took it off @ 3:30 and foiled in the oven for 45 minutes. Turned out excellent. Very good cut of meat to smoke.

In my opinion, the reason to foil a roll is primarily to speed up the cook. I've had them take 24 hours before - foil can speed it up. But, taking advice from others here on this board, I poke quite a few holes in the bottom so the fat can drain.

If time isn't an issue, I don't see a need to foil at all. It's such a fatty piece of meat that I don't find it needs it to retain moisture. But, that's just my opinion.

I agree Adam. I cooked a 15 pounder last weekend for around 20 hours. It turned out very juicy. 2nd cook and no foil for me yet. I do foil after the cook for a couple hours though.

What do you use to poke holes Adam? I am going to have to try that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
What do you use to poke holes Adam? I am going to have to try that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I just use the probe of my thermometer and punch it a bunch of times across the bottom. That seems to work pretty well.

Back