Finding a full packer brisket in Vermont?

Ryan Gardner

TVWBB Fan
I'm going to visit family in VT, and think I might want to show the how to do a brisket. (my dad has a WSM and stoker setup similar to mine, and I like to show off on it when I visit).

Anyone know of a reliable place to get full packers? I'm spoiled by the sams club near me that always has a nice selection of full USDA Choice packers (they recently started stocking Certified Angus Beef briskets - which doesn't mean much to me except that this particular one had an amazing fat cap and was very well marbled - turned out mind blowing awesome)

The costcos around me here only sell 6 or 7 lb flats, and they are not in cryovac but on styrofoam and I can never see the underside to see what the fat cap on them looks like... I'm assuming that Costcos are pretty uniform in their bbq meat stocking (i.e. only half flats, boneless butts, etc)

So robbed of my standby here - where should I try to find a full packer in unfamiliar territory? Get on the phone and start calling butchers? Ask nicely at Costco to see if they have something uncut in the back? Find a cow, shoot it, and saw off it's shoulder?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Or if anyone is in the VT area and knows of a good place, that'd be helpful too. (Montpelier or Burlington area would be good)

Unless you special order one from a Butcher, you'll only find flats here in VT. Usually at 3.99 a lb.
I use Bob's Meat Market in St Albans which is north of Burlington.

Are you related to Dave that works at IBM?

I can usually get what I need at BJ's in West Leb NH. Call a week ahead and tell them what you want and they will get it for you.

I bought 2 from costco and talked to one of the butchers. He said they do not buy the whole briskets, just the flats. Bummer, eh?

I get my whole, untrimmed USDA choice briskets from Stater Brothers. Today, all they had left was one 7.62 lb brisket. I was looking for a 10 lb, but had to settle for that.

They will get a delivery tomorrow, but I wanted to rub it down and let it sit overnight.

New year, same problem
icon_smile.gif

I called the Sams Club in Manchester, NH and asked the butcher there about the briskets they stock.

He didn't speak english well, but he said "Yes, we have BIG ones" and I clarified "So do you have a 12 to 13 pound full packer with point and flat?"

"12 pounds... um. no... That's is very big. I find 12 pounds one piece of meat hard to believe. Maybe you get two?"

He checked, the biggest they have there are 6.5lbs. and $3.46 / lb

I guess I should be glad Sams Club stocks full packers regularly here - CAB Choice packers I can walk in and pick up without planning ahead for $1.98 / lb has me spoiled
icon_smile.gif

I don't have a BJs card. I'll try calling a few more places. Everyone I've talked to now has never heard of a brisket that big and seems baffled by why I'd want one.

The meat market in the VT seems upside down... I got ahold of one person with a full packer (albeit a small one) - but they were trying to tell me how great it was that this cut had "no visible fat" because it was from a "beefalo"... I politely informed her that I was not interested in a 5-lb brisket with no fat on it :/

The other places seem to have grass fed cows :/

BUT... I did find one place that raises a couple of cows a year and slaughters them - they have an 8 lb and 10 lb in their freezer that are full deckle off boneless - unfortunately the butcher trimmed the fat cap down quite a bit it sounds like - but she said it looked well marbled so I think it's the best bet.

I did find that Sams Club sells 12-14 Lb Kobe beef brisket for $80 shipped - anyone ever used them before? Obviously that's very expensive for a brisket - but at least it's prime grade

Maybe I'll throw it on the smoker frozen and get a REALLY DEEP smoke ring
icon_wink.gif

Back