Finally made chicken I liked

Jeff T Miller

TVWBB All-Star
Well been smokin for several years. I have tried chicken in various forms. From beer can chicken to thighs and wings. All of it was ok just not good enough for me to go through all the work to do it again.

Well I am talking to this guy about catering his party. He bought some things off of me last year and wants me to do the whole thing this year. He says you can do some wings can't you, yea just buy them and heat them up in the oven. Well the place I work out of is only smoker and grills, no oven.

So I am in sams doing my weekly Q shopping and look around at the chicken wings. Most of them are pre cooked. I am thinking smoking something that is already cooked probobly isn't optimal. I see this bag it says uncooked. I pick it up it is Pilgrims Pride Blazin wings. I am thinking I am going to try smokin these. Absolutely no work I have to try it.

I smoked these babys at 250 for about 2 hours and temps were arond the 185 mark and the bag said to take them to 180. These wings are big. I took a bite and it was like the best thing I have eaten years. They come with a breading and they are quite warm. I bought a second bag to do on the 4th celebration. Talk about kickin it up a notch. That second bag was really hot. I was at a full fledged sweat after 4 of these puppies.

I was afraid that the skin would be rubbery and I wouldn't like them. They came out absolutely perfect and are easy to make.

Jeff, sounds like something I want to try. Were they frozen or fresh and what was the weight of the package?

Thanks,

Bill

I used 1 piece of oak, 2 pieces of cherry, and a piece of grapevine. The next time I make some wings I am going to try some JD pellets. I bet that will be good.

One of the other reasons I don't make chiken often is worrying about being done. The first time I made the blazin wings I took the first piece and pulled the skin back and was checking it out. I was so tedious about it that I temp checked each piece and all were over 180. When I pulled back the skin it had lots of juice and it looked pink because of the smoke ring. I ended up checking the temp again before tasting.

I made a bag of blazin wings today at work. Everybody loved them. I made a bag of wings on the 4th and about 6 was all I could eat because they were so hot. I close to doubled that today. This bag was more mild than the last one. Just a notice if anyone doesn't like really spicy stuff. I don't recall anything on the bag saying hot or mild. I think it is just luck of the draw. I will check it out a bit closer tomorrow as I will be making a trip to sams.

Bill just saw your post. Frozen and 6 pounds. Sams price was under $10. I am thinking $9.49 but you get the idea.

Back