Finally found a gasser

JustinL

TVWBB Pro
I love my kettle and WSM but I've been looking for a gasser to use when I don't feel like starting up some charcoal. Today that dream came true. I picked up a Genesis 3000 off craigslist for $25. Brought it home, cleaned it up, now its ready to go. The flavorizer bars have some rust and the grates have a little too. Eventually I plan to restore it but for now its usable and the only thing its missing is a nob for one of the burners.

P9263074.jpg

P9263079.jpg

Looking forward to breaking it in.

Thanks Mac,

I had forgotten about the signature. I was looking at new grates and flavorers. Are the stainless steel worth the extra $$$?

That a 1st generation Genesis, baby! The Genesis of Genesis. That is exactly like my very first Genesis, 1985. Same color, same everything. It's a Genesis 3, not a Genesis 3000. My second was a 2000 (no side burner.)

Congratulations on a great find!

Originally posted by JustinL:
I was looking at new grates and flavorers. Are the stainless steel worth the extra $$$?
Yes, for both IMHO.

Enameled flavorizers will last about 3 years depending on conditions, the SS version will last double or more. The aftermarket (ebay) heavy duty ones should last even longer.

Enameled cast iron grates are said by some to be the best......I have them, they are durable & hold heat very well. They do how ever require a bit of care. I'd guess the SS (again aftermarket being the best) would last just as long & be easier to maintain.

Congrats on the redhead - they always look nice!

Wow - Looks like you got a helluva deal!

For 25 bucks, it appears to be in really nice condition. I'll bet that it cleans-up really well.

If you ever need to replace the wood, I would look into teak, if you can scrounge some up - just give it a coat of oil once or twice a year, and it'll last and look good.

Thanks for the input and suggestions everybody.

It's a Genesis 3, not a Genesis 3000

Based on the serial number look up and the schematics on webers website I'm pretty sure it's a 3000 but I could be wrong. It looks like the only difference between the 3 and the 3000 is the mechanism for allowing the fold out table to extend and the 3000 also has a hanging warm up basket which mine has.

Here's a great place for Wood Supplies in Sac. http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=320

Thanks Mac,

I'll definately have to look into them. I was planning on just sanding down the original and restaining since they look in decent condition. Based on your experience is it better to just replace them?

Thanks again everybody,

i have one that i'm restoring. but mine is a 3 ? as it has no swiveling wheels. needs a bit of work but the red lid is like new. will be another year or so before its done. ya got a great buy for sure !!

Great find Justin. And killer price. I think I spotted it when it was on Craigslist. I regularly peruse CL just to see what’s available. Glad you found it.

Originally posted by JustinL: I was planning on just sanding down the original and restaining since they look in decent condition. Based on your experience is it better to just replace them?
If their in decent condition I would just give them a sanding and them finish with maybe three coats of Spare Varnish or an outdoor Polyurethane that has UV protection in it. If it needs the flavorizer bars replaced, here's a link to SS replacements in the Bay area.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/1974480636.html
Also I would look into picking up a cover for it unless it's going to be stored out of the weather.

Thanks again everybody. This forum is great. The black paint is fairly oxidized on the frame but there is hardly any rust. In order to repaint it should I sand/strip the whole thing down or just the problem areas? Also do you recommend repainting the interior too?

Thanks,

Originally posted by JustinL:
Thanks again everybody. This forum is great. The black paint is fairly oxidized on the frame but there is hardly any rust. In order to repaint it should I sand/strip the whole thing down or just the problem areas? Also do you recommend repainting the interior too? Thanks,
I would probably dismantle the whole grill. I then would sand the frame down just enough to rid it of any oxidation. Then primer and paint with either "Stove" paint or High Heat Engine Enamel. Sand and refinish/replace all the wood parts and finish them as described earlier. I would also replace any hardware with SS pieces. It's great you have room with the $$ side because of the great deal you got. Just my $.02

Great, thanks Mac, I'll follow your advice. I had bought some High Heat Enamel Rust-Oleum that recommends not using a primer. Has anybody used this paint before? Would you recommend I still use a primer. It also recommends not using on metal directly exposed to flames or in direct contact with food such as grates. Should I not use this on the inside cooking area? I don't think the sides are directly exposed to the flames but I'm not sure. Sorry for all of the questions but this is my first restore and if I'm going to do it I'd like to do it right.

Thanks,

Should I not use this on the inside cooking area?
Absolutely not! All you need to paint would be the Black frame. As for the box itself, the outside is all you should really be concerned about. If there is any oxidation on the inside just give it a light sanding and wipe some cooking oil on it until your first fire. Unless the outside of the Box is really bad, I'd just clean it and leave it. Any minor nicks or scrathes, I consider Beauty Marks or a "patina". Don't forget the before, during and after pics.

Originally posted by Mac McClure:
......... Any minor nicks or scrathes, I consider Beauty Marks or a "patina". Don't forget the before, during and after pics.
icon_biggrin.gif
I agree, can't have a grill that looks too new - needs to look like it's been used.

As for the cart - if the paint is only oxidized I'd try some auto paint polish (not wax). A light cutting polish might remove it all. I'd treat/paint only the rusted areas (if any) - you're not going to beat the factory paint job & I'd save as much of it as I can.

RE: 3 VS. 3000
Correct me if I'm wrong - but I think that the main difference would be in the flavorizor bars.

Older versions (3?) would have two layers, at right-angles to eachother.
-Long bars spanning side-to-side width
-Short bars spanning front-to-rear

Newer versions (3000?) would only have the longer bars?

Really old versions might have a built-in smoker-box, with special internal "ducting", that can be used to add a little smokiness to your longer cooks

Thanks everybody as to the restoration. It sounds like it may be best to change my plan of completely restoring it and just touch up the rusted spots and then polish the rest of it.

As to the debate between a 3 VS. 3000. My knowledge is very limited since the only 3 or 3000 I've seen is mine. I came to the conclusion that it is a 3000 based on the serial number since the model number didnt bring anything up. Here is a link to the schematic for the 3000 and here is a link to the schematic for the 3. After looking at these the only differences I can see is the 3000 has a different sliding mechanism for the foldout table, it has rolling casters on the other legs, and it also has a hanging warmup basket. The rest looks the same but like I said I've never seen another 3 or 3000.

Thanks,

Sorry Mac,

Nothing has really happened yet, so nothing worth taking pictures of. I bought a new warming rack and warmup basket today from california backyards and I also ordered two new casters and new control knobs for the burners from Weber. Hopefully this weekend I can start breaking it down and get to work on it. I'll need to buy new flavorizers and grates eventually but they are in decent enough shape so I can make due for now and because of the price they'll probably have to wait till next month. The boss only allowed 50 in allowance towards it this month
icon_wink.gif

When I do buy them I plan to get the flavorizers from the ebay guy but haven't decided on where to get the grates yet or if I want the PCI's or SS. Right now I think I'm leaning towards the SS but I keep going back and forth.

I'll make sure to post pictures though when there is something worth showing.

Thanks again,

Back