Finally finished my gasser restore

Very nice find Mike. That will clean up very nicely. Let me know if there is any information I can lend to help out.

I had a blast rehabbing it and love the way it turned out and cooking on it. For me it doesn't get much better than the look of the wood slats. Kinda like wood handles on the kettles
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the info Jeff. Great to hear.

Mike,

Not sure if Webr changed the numbers. The Rotis that I have for the 3000 is Nr 9890 (includes motor, two forks, spit, counter weight and mount with hardware)

Jeff

Thanks again everybody,

Dave,
I used pine for the wood. I had planned on teak but wasn't able to find it, plus pine was much cheaper. I cut it to length, sanded, and coated with 3 layers of Spar Varnish. I liked the look of the handle so I just sanded it down and coated it also with 3 coats of spar varnish. It is a little darker than the new wood but not enough to bother me. As for the red I just cleaned it up with 0000 steel wool and 409 cleaner. This is how I cleaned pretty much the whole BBQ and it worked really well. Also for the firebox and sides of the lid I sanded down the old paint and repainted with two layers of high heat rustoleum.

Steve,

Will do!
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again,

Did you use a satin or flat high heat rustoleum?

Justin excellant job on the grill I would be proud to grill on that anytime. Food taste better when the grill looks good. My first Weber grill was like that one with out a side burner, I have never had one of those, sometimes it would be great to have it.

Again Great job, you should be proud.

Thanks for the response and the entire post. It will be very helpful to me. I've been looking for a 3000 for a while but settled for this 1000 the other day. Paid 40 so maybe I have a little room to invest in the resto

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks like a great project Michael. Enjoy the restore and be sure to keep us posted on the progress.

If one of my friends were in the market to up grade there gas grill, i would enjoy finding and rehabing one of these because of there durability,just plain good looks, and affordable to work with.

I can pick up one for 40 on CL without the side burner. Always wanted a redhead. Thinking about it.

Justin your Genesis looks great and I want to say thanks. Your restore inspired me to restore my own Genesis 3000 that originally was my Dad's. Your insight and suggestions on what you used as well as how you restored yours was very helpful in my restore. I finished it last weekend and have used it a few times since. I plan to start my own thread to share with the forum. Thanks again!

Glad to hear my info was helpful for you! I couldn't have done it without the help of the members on here so I'm glad that I could pass it on. Can't wait to see pictures of your restore. Enjoy your grill!

I absolutely love this style of grill and this restore. I've been looking for this type of grill (that is, the wood side shelves, the long wood bottom shelf and a side burner). Is the Genesis 3000 the only model that had the long wood bottom shelf? I've been looking on CL for a month now but haven't found anything suitable in both price and distance in this model yet. I guess I will be patient ... but this is the type of restore I hope to do one day, hopefully this summer.

The Genesis II and 2000 had the long frame and long bottom shelf. Because they had the shelf on far right side extension where a side burner would go.

Back