Finally dough coming along - Pics!

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
Many thanks to all who've provided tips on improving my dough. I've recently purchased a digital scale that's really helped. Made a couple of pizzas in the past week; an am quite pleased with the results.

Great job, Paul! I love the look of the crust rim. It looks as if you have a pretty good water balance in the dough. Maybe a few drops more to get a few large hollow bubbles, your choice. But yours is beautiful, and very nicely stretched, too.

Rita

Thanks Rita, this dough had either 62% or 63% hydration. I've got a link to Tom Lehmann's pizza dough calculator. That's pretty fun to experiment with.

Chris, I just realized I dropped this thread in the wrong category...sorry...
icon_redface.gif

Beautiful, bet they taste even better!

Paul, I purchased a digital scale after reading about these percentages and ingredients weighed to the 100ths of an ounce. Of course the scale I came home with weighed in eights of an ounce! Kind of ticked off that I didn't catch that when I bought it. I took it back and I have been using volume and feel ever since. Sooner or later I'll make the upgrade to the accuracy of a good scale.
Good job on that crust.

Steve, I agree. Scales that weigh in eighths drive me bananas. If recipes are written in ounces and grams, grams is the weight we should use for our baking. They are more accurate than ounces because in many, of not most, recipes, the grams are rounded off to the nearest 5 grams and then the ounces are calculated from that, again being rounded off, usually to the nearest tenth of an ounce for home baking. Going to 0.00 oz is a bit ridiculous, IMHO. I take issue with Reinhart on that. I'm not knocking his recipes, mind you, but if he is going to all the trouble to write such procedurally specific recipes that include weights, why not use grams? It gives me the impression (hopefully erroneous) that he thinks we in the States are not ready for it. Grams are the standard world-wide and also amongst professional bakers here in the States, and it's time we, as home bakers caught up with it. His books must sell in Europe and grams are the standard for baking over there.

Of course, variations in humidity happen on a regular basis, but one has to begin with a base weight and adjust from there if necessary. I find that I rarely have to make adjustments for humidity in home yeast baking, even in the humid times of the year in the South. It might be more important when making large quantities of dough commercially.

This, of course, is just my opinion. Soapbox over.

Rita

Could it be...ounces sell better than grams in the US ? I think this is a publisher/commercial decision more than anything else. It would be easy enough to write him for to get his thoughts.

Steve, the good bread books that I own use all 3 measurements -- volume, ounces, and grams. They either use a small chart for the ingredient list or they list ingredients such as 1 cup (5 oz, 142 g) unbleached all-purpose flour. The best ones include Baker's Percentages.

Some would argue that it isn't necessary to be so accurate to the nearest gram or 5 grams. That's probably true with much home yeast baking, less so with cake and pastry baking IMO, but if you are going to do any scaling up or down with a recipe, inaccuracies are multiplied.

Rita

This scale I purchased uses both grams or ounces. What irks me is when I come across a recipe that specifically spells out most of the ingredients by weight until you get to "1/4 t of salt". How much does that weigh? So far, I've loved using it.

Steve, I bought this scale from Amazon. It's cheap and so far worked very well.

Paul, great looking pizza. Been experimenting with a pizza dough that contains whole wheat flour. Like the taste and look of the finished dough. Also, been using high gluten flour. Noticed that for the first time I started getting tears in the dough when stretching. May have to cut back on the yeast if it continues to happen.

Paul, this last batch was made with some whole wheat. I've been using high gluten exclusively. If your dough is not elastic, then it could be a matter of salt. Pizza dough should have about 1.75% salt. Also, if you left the dough out for a prolonged length of time, it could have overfermented and weakened the dough. How much whole wheat are you using?

Paul, check out the USDA database...

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

...for salt weights:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/cgi-bin/measure.pl

The USDA Database is an excellent resource for not only weights, but also nutritional analysis. If you want to add ingredients to your MasterCook program, that's the place to get all the information. Occasionally, I'll find that some of my measured weights do not agree, but for the most part, they are close. Also, for weights, check labels.

A CAUTION for digital scales. If you add very small amounts slowly, the scale might not pick up the increase. Try taking the bowl off the scale, add what you want, and then return the bowl to the scale. Sometimes, just to check, I tare a new bowl on the scale and transfer the ingredient(s) to the new bowl all at once. I hope I've explained that well enough.

Rita

Rita,

Thanks for the links; excellent resource! Also, good suggestion on the very small amounts.

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
Paul, this last batch was made with some whole wheat. I've been using high gluten exclusively. If your dough is not elastic, then it could be a matter of salt. Pizza dough should have about 1.75% salt. Also, if you left the dough out for a prolonged length of time, it could have overfermented and weakened the dough. How much whole wheat are you using? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul, I use 25% whole wheat. Total flour is 16 oz. I make a fairly big pizza(18"). I've been thinking about reducing the regular flour even more and increasing the whole wheat.I also use 1 1/2 tsp of salt. Is this too much for 16 oz of flour???

Paul K,

Please forgive me but can you help a newbee out? This probably is a very stupid question, but are your pizzas grilled or oven baked? They look awesome. One other question. Do you deliver?

Chris

Hey Chris, not a stupid question at all. These are oven baked. I tried a couple of times grilling them with less than stellar results
icon_mad.gif
. I just couldn't control my temps or distance from the coals properly. I haven't given up on grilling a pizza, but lately the oven has been doing so well...

Yes, delivery is available
icon_biggrin.gif
! If you're interested, I'll need a cashier's check to cover pizza(s), travel, lodging and entertainment. 20% off if you're in the Akron/Stow area; Mom's from there.

Hey Paul.....that sounds great. I’ll keep that in mind. I’m just guessing here, but I bet delivery time is more than 30 minutes....

Here is a web site that is pretty expansive for a home baker. The specialty is Pizza Napoletana

Pizza Napoletana

Now you've got me very interested in making my own pizza dough. Here is a pizza recipe that I have wanted to try. Just couldn't bring myself to buy pre-made shells at the super market.

Barbecue Pizza: Elvis Pizza (Coletta's Italian Restaurant) Recipe courtesy Jerry Coletta

Dough:
1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup warm water

Coletta's Barbecue Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup tomato puree
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon white vinegar
3 whole cloves
1/3 cup sliced onions
1/6 teaspoon granulated garlic
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 ounces water

Toppings:
2 cups barbecue sauce
12 ounces low-moisture, part skim shredded mozzarella (recommended: Wisconsin)
2 ounces pasteurized process shredded Cheddar (recommended: Wisconsin)
1 1/4 pounds barbecue meat (cooked and chopped pork shoulder), heated

To Make Dough: Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside. Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of flour. Add the yeast mixture, oil and 3/4 cup of water. Stir and mix with a wooden spoon until a rough ball of dough is formed and dough cleans the sides of bowl. Turn dough out of bowl onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead dough for 7 to 8 minutes until it is smooth and satiny (dust dough with flour if it feels sticky). Dust a large mixing bowl lightly with flour. Place dough in bowl; cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Put dough in a warm place to rise for 1 1/2 hours, until double in bulk.
After dough has doubled in bulk, punch down and turn out of bowl onto work surface. Knead lightly for about 2 minutes. Roll or stretch dough into a circle that is 16 inches in diameter and about 1/4-inch thick. Place dough in a 16-inch flat pizza pan. Cover dough with a clean towel and let rise a second time for about 45 minutes before adding toppings.

To Make Barbecue Sauce: Combine all barbecue sauce ingredients in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat. Strain out cloves and onions. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until ready to use. Sauce can be made 1 or 2 days ahead. Makes 2 cups of sauce.

To Assemble Pizza: Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.

Spread 1/3 of barbecue sauce evenly over dough to within 1/2 inch of edge. Mix the mozzarella and cheddar cheese and sprinkle them over the sauce. Bake pizza for about 10 minutes until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Remove pizza from oven and spread barbecue meat over the cheese. Add remaining barbecue sauce evenly over meat. Serve at once.

Man I'm hungry!
icon_biggrin.gif

Gerry, thanks for posting the BBQ Pizza recipe. I hope you don't mind, but I copied it to the OTHER MAIN COURSE RECIPES forum (with links) so that it will be easier to find. Some folks might miss it in this forum.

Rita

Chris A: Hope this is OK.

Bob, Bakers Percentages are the percent of each ingredient in a recipe in relation to the total amount of flour(s) in the recipe instead of to the total weight of the ingredients. The total of the Bakers Percentages will NOT equal 100%.

It makes scaling a recipe much easier. For example, you've baked a loaf using 500 g flour and you would like to make it just a little larger. You might begin by adding 100 grams of flour, so the total amount of flour would now be 600 g. The amount of yeast in a recipe is often around 2%, so to find how much yeast you'd need for the larger loaf, you would multiply 600 g by 2%, so you would need 12 g yeast for the larger recipe. The same procedure would apply to water, salt, sugar (or honey, etc) and any other additions to the dough, wet or dry.

Here is a link than explains it much better and more thoroughly than I can:

http://www.theartisan.net/bakers_percentage_revised_2001.htm

Rita

Back