Finally Brave enough to post it!

I did some more looking and found that Wally-mart sells round aluminum cake-pans 2 for under $3 too.
If somebody wants something bigger, you can get a stainless steel dog dish for around $5 at various places.

Wow MP - that table mod looks fantastic. Do you have any additional details on contruction? Is it permanently attached to the WSM? One of the best non 18" Platinum retrofits I've seen. I'd really consider doing this to mine.

AFA the gas fire - nice job as well. I just can't give up my lump cooking just yet though
icon_wink.gif
Having a gas system for ignition only is definitely in the picture though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt_G:
I did some more looking and found that Wally-mart sells round aluminum cake-pans 2 for under $3 too.
If somebody wants something bigger, you can get a stainless steel dog dish for around $5 at various places. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Matt! I've been looking for stainless steel... didn't think about a dog dish. Great idea.
I didn't realize the duct cap was bad. I know burning aluminum produces some unhealthy gases if you breathe them but I didn't know about galvanized.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Wow MP - that table mod looks fantastic. Do you have any additional details on contruction? Is it permanently attached to the WSM? One of the best non 18" Platinum retrofits I've seen. I'd really consider doing this to mine.

AFA the gas fire - nice job as well. I just can't give up my lump cooking just yet though
icon_wink.gif
Having a gas system for ignition only is definitely in the picture though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks r benash!
I originally wanted to copy Don Marcos WSM de Luxe but had no luck finding a cheap 18" Performer. I bid on a few on eBay and even tried to use an old gas grill frame found on Craigslist.

I used 1" aluminum for the legs and frame (about $1.00 per ft. and easily found at HD, Lowe's or most hardware stores), I used standard L type shelf brackets to connect the frame together.
The wood is a pine that I stained and coated with a commercial grade outdoor clear coat for wood furniture. I want to say it was by Murphy's but I can't remember. I got it at Lowe's and it was very pricey at $11.00 for a small can (12 ounces maybe?) I used the whole can on this small table... it took awhile but I followed the directions: apply first coat, let dry 24 hours, sand with 220 or finer... repeat three times. I put on 4 coats and that finished the can.
I used aluminum corner protectors to finish around the table.
I used a replacement drawer slide I found at my local hardware store to mount the trashcan. I used the excess aluminum and made a frame for the inside of the trashcan so the drawer slide had something sturdy to mount to.

The table is easily removed... see Brian Moriarty's handle mounts, side table mount posts. Basically used garage door handles and long carriage bolts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Branon S.:
Go to the salvation army or good will and buy a used cake pan for a charcoal chamber. Don't risk it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't a cast iron pan do the trick?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
When I first saw the pic, I thought the gas was just for lighting charcoal....I was wrong, but that would be a pretty slick feature...hmmm.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I was thinking. I wonder if the unit they use in the Performer (gas ignition) could be utilized to MM start the the charcoal ring. That would be cool.

Great work on the mods; it really looks nice. You have got to feel pretty pleased with yourself everytime you fire it up. Very cool. Thanks for working up the nerve to share it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bobby Dress:
Would a hot plate work for this as well? Maybe a little more simple than the gas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I got started with smoked meats on a hot plate powered flower pot ala Alton Brown. It worked fine, but consider that my flower pots were much smaller in volume and surface area not to mentioned somewhat insulated compared to a WSM. I saw the difference when I upgraded from a 16" flower pot to a 20" pot. The hot plate had to be turned all the way up with the bigger pot just to maintain 210F. I think that a standard hot plate wouldn't put out enough heat to maintain temperature in something the size of a WSM.

Brinkmann makes electric smokers which (and I could be wrong) are about the same size as an 18" WSM. If one were to do a google search for "electric smoker element" you could find replacement elements for those which would be much better for heating something the size of a WSM.

But to answer your question... Yes, an electric heat source works fine.

I am interested in the propane conversion also. I would add that to one of my bases and use charcoal with the other. Curious if it works ok.

Back