Finally back to charcoal!

Fire season ended suddenly this week. After a very long summer and a record-breaking warm/dry October, we dropped from 80 degrees and sun to 50 degrees and rain inside of 48 hours. In the last few days we’ve gotten nearly 2 inches of rain; not a lot by our standards, but enough to kill off fire risk until next summer.

The best part of fire season ending is breaking out the charcoal and firing up the Summit Kamado. In doing so, I learned something: after four-and-a-half months of cooking on the Genesis, I need to re-learn how to cook over coals again!

And so it goes.

Same here Grant, fire restrictions have been lifted. Got to finish up my cart for the jumbo joe I bought last spring and haven't been able to use it yet until now, looking forward to that.

we had a few red flag days where I chose not to fire up the kettle, 20+ mph winds and a tiny spark leaving the grill would have been a disaster considering I live near a forested area

Our place in Washington extended the yard debris burn ban almost an extra month.
I don’t think our area ever had a charcoal burn ban.
We are a good 20 minutes out of town so it’s on us to be careful.
When we do our 4th of July BBQ and fireworks thing I soak the yard good and have hoses on the ready.

Back