Few questions on 22.5 WSM

John Segura

TVWBB Member
Hey guys, I just picked up a used 22.5 WSM the other day. I manged to get rid of the most of the built up gunk inside the cooker with a high heat burnout (350-380* for a few hours) and some elbow grease. However the outside has a lot of smoke residue that is really stubborn to remove. So far I tried windex w/vinegar and it removed very little of it. I have some oven cleaner I can try but I want to make sure it's safe to use on the exterior of the WSM?

The handles are also really smoke stained too, I wonder if removing them and soaking them in vinegar would work?

I really like the work table(s) mod where the bolts on the table slide through the holes on the Genie handles (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KFZUCQ/?tag=TVWB-20) . If I get these handles and make them fit on the 22.5 WSM, will the bolts still be able to slide through the openings? - Thanks

I use oven cleaner on the exterior of mine all of the time, and it has not harmed it at all. But, I never thought of an industrial degreaser.

I cleaned a few grills with Orange cleaner made for grills by Goo-Gone. It cleared away the soot, tar and etc with no issues at all. Great stuff and found it at HD or Lowes but I`m not sure which one. It cleaned my kettle after a yrs use and my thermometers I put in the top vent that get real nasty back to new.

Makes sense to me on a WSM bought used. Who knows what they cooked in it or how it will affect your next few cooks. Better to start with a clean slate.

Thats what I thought when I bought the backup 18.5 used. Maybe they cooked a body in it or something. . Ok, it's early I dont know what I'm saying :)

Makes sense to me on a WSM bought used. Who knows what they cooked in it or how it will affect your next few cooks. Better to start with a clean slate.

I read that cooking fish will cause a weird taste on other foods smoked after it for awhile and some recommend using a separate smoker just for that. I could see where cleaning it out good would be beneficial in that aspect...

half the reason why I fired my wsm up today was to get it warm to clean it. must be in pretty rough shape cause just soap and water does a pretty good job for me. I would think oven cleaner should be fine. wsm's coating isnt much different than an ovens interior right?

I saw a pitmaster show where the lady borrowed some green eggs and the food came out with a funny taste. Turned out the owners had used lighter fluid so much it must have given off flavor into the meat

Back