Feedback on my first BoB

Matt Y

TVWBB Member
I am going to fire up the smoker this weekend when some family is in town and wanted to pull off my first BoB and I wanted to get some feedback on my strategy.

I have a 7.5# butt that i'm going to rub with The Renowned Mr. Brown rub and put it on the smoker at 6am (assuming dinner starts around 7pm). The butt is the entree for dinner.

In an attempt to expand my BBQ horizons - and maximize the use of the cooker space I want to do a brisket as well. My packer brisket is 11.5# and needs about 18 hrs of cook time. Can I "stagger" the start times of these two cuts? How have others managed the weight difference between the two cuts?

Ahhhhh. BoB= Butt over Brisket.

You can stagger the cook times but that's no guarantee that they are going to finish at the same time.

I might start them at the same time. When the butt is finished, foil and into ice chest for holding.

You can then pull the butt when it gets close to dinner time. Separate the point and flat when the flat is done and give the point a little more time to render more.

Hopefully all in time for dinner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ou can then pull the butt when it gets close to dinner time. Separate the point and flat when the flat is done and give the point a little more time to render more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my experience that sounds about right for a 7.5lb butt, but BBQ is done when it's done. I would consider putting the butt on a little sooner and holding it (like Russell suggested) in an ice chest with foil, you certainly don't want to keep your guests waiting for too long. =)

Thanks Russel - good thoughts. I'm probably going to use some a combination of different things cause the cooking stone we have doesn't fit into our cooler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hopefully all in time for dinner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Depending on what the cooktemps are, maybe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My packer brisket is 11.5# and needs about 18 hrs of cook time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Seems a little long.

Back