Feedback on a 26.75

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Williams

I retired my red 22.5 a couple years back, mostly because I wanted something bigger. Got a Kingsford "box" grille, and to be honest, I can't cook on the thing. Way too hot and no way to regulate the temp. Even with the bottom/side vents shut, it just leaks in too much air.

I am going to get a new kettle soon and would like to hear from folks that have a 26.75". No place around me carries them in stock and I'm a "gotta see it" buyer.

Is it really that much bigger than the 22.5"? I am concerned that the grate might sag since it is so big. Is that the case? I really like all the features of the performer, do you think I'd be better off going that route and just dealing with the size issue on the few occasions that it becomes an issue?

I'd go with performer, if you need more room you could always get a cajun bandit to add to it. I happen to have the old Stainless steel type and would look for one of those, then get a 22"WSM.

i've seen the 26 and its big. as yer only cooker i think it would be to big. yer better off getting two 22 kettles off of craigs list. or a kettle and a performer as mentioned.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Williams:
Is it really that much bigger than the 22.5"? I am concerned that the grate might sag since it is so big. Is that the case? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The 26.75" has 40% more cooking space than the 22.5" (508 sq in vs. 363 sq in).

The cooking grate shouldn't sag. In fact, the charcoal grate has extra reinforcement to prevent sagging.

I would not hesitate to buy one.

Regards,
Chris

this is the charcoal grate. it has extra support on the bottom. ive never had any trouble with the cooking grate full.
the 26 costs twice as much as a 22 otg for 40 % more grill area but when im cooking indirect i love the extra room. when they announced these about a year ago i knew i'd have to get one and im glad i did. that said my favorite is my red performer though
icon_wink.gif
. if i could only have one grill the performer would be it no doubt about it
DSC01382.jpg

Pretty sure I'll go with the Performer. If they only made it in Red... I wonder why they don't? I'd bet if they brought back the red ones, they wouldn't sell any other color....

there was something hazardous in either the chemicals or process in making red porcelain enamel. they stopped making it years ago.
you can always try and pick up a used ss performer and a 26
icon_biggrin.gif

you'd have a little more invested than if you bought a new performer but you'd have more flexibilty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Williams:

I am going to get a new kettle soon and would like to hear from folks that have a 26.75". No place around me carries them in stock and I'm a "gotta see it" buyer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you on that one. Weber needs to update their dealer list on their website as 3 of the 4 "dealers" in my area have gone out of business. I thought I found one near Tampa but they didn't have any in stock and just placed a large order with Weber but didn't order the 26".

I've done my research and I am 99.5% sold on getting the 26" OTG.

In our case "size does matter". We always have a good crowd for our BBQ's and this coming Labor Day will be no exception. While I've got some ribs and chickens 'queing on the WSM's, I can still grill up hamburgers, hot dogs/brats along with corn, veggies, ect. on the kettle. I thought about getting another 22" OTS but my 2000 model is about to "give up the ghost" - the lid got damaged during a tailgate party 2 years ago and doesn't sit on the bowl very well.

I've searched through the archives here and no one seems to actually own one other "Tim C". Everyone else just has opinions on them.

As "Tim C" said, my main selling point is the added space when cooking indirect.

07ccc0a398a0e1caa12cf110.L.jpg

(found a side by side image on Amazon)

I have the 26 OTG and a performer and a WSM. The 26 gets used more than any of them. We have three straping boys and the extra room is great. I do alot of indirect cooking and it does so good that the WSM don't get used as much any more. If the 26 had the table and gas assist it would be perfect. I've bought my performer back in 98 and I wouldn't take for it, but the extra room on the 26 is great. I bought mine from Rac Enterprise and they shipped fast and they are a authorized dealer. Hope this helps.

Dennis

If weber don't come out with some sort of work table for the 26 inch, I guess I'll have to build one.
Thanks for the links.
Dennis

Thanks for the info Dennis. I ordered the 26" from Amazon.com/Shopper's Choice on Sunday but I got a call yesterday (Monday) saying they were on back order as the last one they had went to a guy with an APO address. I can only assume it's going to one of our great servicemen overseas so I'd rather see them get it.

Actually, it worked out better for me as I cancelled the order from amazon and ordered one from Ace Hardware with free shipping to my local store. I called the local store for more info and he said it would probably arrive on Thursday but I'm still waiting for shipment confirmation.

Anyways, thanks for all the good info (as always) on all things Weber. You'd be amazed on how many Google searches for Weber lead back to "tvwbb".

As for the work table - For large parties, I usually bring out one or two of my folding camp/picnic tables and extend the legs to their highest settings. It is no where near as fancy as the work done by others here but it makes the perfect prep/serving station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back