FD: Smoked Carnitas

Looks wonderful. Question. How long did you braise it for in the Dutch oven. Was the liquid broth or just water? Surprised you still had crunchy bits after being in the liquid.
Joe, the braise was about 3 hours or so. After that, I drained the pork in a colander (reserving the juices), then just held it aside on the counter until the final prep. I defatted the reserved juices so I could use the fat in my crispification process. The carnitas crisped up just fine on my Blackstone griddle, and would also do so as well in a large cast iron skillet on the stove, or under a broiler. I used a little of the defatted braising liquid to moisten things up when it was coming to temp on the griddle, then hit it with some of the fat to get the crisping into full gear. Worked great!

R

Rich would you use the taco seasoning again or change anything?
I didn't find the flavor lacking at all, but I might try the recipe as written sometime. I just can't see it making that much difference. What I might do, though, is add some of whatever rub I'm using to the braise to try to carry some of those flavors through. Not sure how well that will work, but it makes sense to my little brain. :)

R

I use this a lot when making Mexican inspired meals. I generally can be used everywhere you need that flavor.
Mr. Richards got me on to using it as a heavy rub on a pork butt, comes out great on the pulled pork and as well on pulled pork tacos after.
I am making my shells like that coming up soon, the second time making tacos from now.....
Skirt steak taco bowl meal is what will be going on.
Next time is next weekend.
It's going to be called long weekend Taco Fiesta alfresco
Gathering ingredients on Friday and cooking Saturday for al pastor and barbacoa tacos.
I will post pics as I go from marinate to stacking on my new vertical skewer to the Pico, guacamole, seared pineapple and the queso I hope to make. Nacho chips with queso and gauc and these tacos......First time guests coming over, it's going to be their lucky day.

1624640668009.png

I’m have Chile lime from Oakridge I think I’ll use.
I definitely thought about Malcom’s gringo rub too. I need to order some of his stuff.

I am going to go get another bottle of this here in a few minutes for this on Sunday cook. This is one I always have on hand, just running low right now.

I’m have Chile lime from Oakridge I think I’ll use.
I definitely thought about Malcom’s gringo rub too. I need to order some of his stuff.
I have set the spices he has to certain foods and could list what I think is best.....
I am sure it would be a waste as everyone here doesn't have the same tastes and stuff like that.
Straight up I have chili lime from Oakridge, I love it but it seems extremely salty.
Tried it on ribs for the first time recently, it was salty but it is good on wings for sure.
I always keep a bottle of Gringo Grande as a back up, it goes on a lot more than you think.
Last night I had smoked chops and brown beans. Maple style brown beans in a can, I added the gringo to it just to see and it was way way better than I thought it would be. It's in my top 3 for sure.

What did you cook Michael?
I will be using my Gringo come Sunday...on taco's and queso.
I can't find that big bottle around here.....well at least not yet so I buy my spice 2 at a time.

What did you cook Michael?
I will be using my Gringo come Sunday...on taco's and queso.
I can't find that big bottle around here.....well at least not yet so I buy my spice 2 at a time.

Just followed Rich's lead here! It was so good!

Back