Favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Do you have a favorite cut of meat that you like to grill/smoke? Could you tell us a little about how you cook it?

I realize it's highly subjective and largely dependent upon your mood at the time. But, as an example, my "go to", quick but good meal is a nice ribeye rubbed w/ Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express, cooked over lump w/ a small chunk of black cherry wood for some smoke. I'll throw some asparagus w/ balsamic, OO, salt and pepper on there too. Always easy. Always very good.

Jim,
One of my favorite "go to" meals stars beef short ribs cut in the flanken style, soaked in a great Korean marinade, and grilled over a blazing hot lump charcoal fire. In case some folks don't know, flanken-style refers to the way the ribs are cut across the bones, so each thin piece of meat has a bit of five or six bones attached. The ribs cook in less than five minutes. Much of the attraction here for me is jockeying the pieces around the grill to avoid the flare-ups and circling the grill myself to avoid the sparking charcoal. Everyone in my family loves this dish (called galbi in Korean), especially when I dab the meat with a little red chile paste, cut it into strips, and wrap the strips in lettuce leaves. Then you just pop the rolls in your mouth, doing as best you can to stop the juices from running al over your chin. Yeah, that meat works for me on a regular basis. If you are interested, there is a recipe for "Korean Beef Barbecue" in my latest book. It includes some photos about the differences between flanken-style ribs and English-style ribs (and of course the way to grill them).
Thanks,
Jamie

Thanks. Now I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard.
icon_smile.gif

I ate galbi all the time while stationed in Korea. Your recipe brings back fond memories. I tried this a couple of weekends ago but didn't have the short ribs flanken'd thin enough; just wasn't the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back