Favorite wood for ribs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm gonna try some spare ribs this weekend (all I've ever done is BB) and was wondering what you all's favorite smoking wood (or combination) was.

John,

I have used apple and cherry, both alone and in combination and love them all equally. Have also used hickory...wasn't as happy with that one...I prefer the milder flavor of the fruitwoods.

Hickory is good choice for pork but is a strong flavor if your not use to it. Pecan is very close to hickory but milder in flavor.
As Randy said fruitwoods can always be a good choice and you won't normally overpower anyone.
Jim

Just an update.... I was going to try some spare ribs last weekend, but when I got to the store, I just couldn't resist 2.99/lb (on sale) BB's (the spares were ~$4.50/lb). Anyway, I smoked 2 slabs with apple and cherry (just about equal amounts) and they turned out great! Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I may try some pecan next time!

I thought John Denver died in an airplane crash? From what I recall, the kind of "smoke" he preferred can't be purchased legally. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Lewis:
[qb]From what I recall, the kind of "smoke" he preferred can't be purchased legally. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I betit would be good with some ribs though .. and chips ... and dip.

Well,

Last weekend, as I prepared the smoker to cook 8 pounds of baby-back ribs - I was HORRIFIED /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif to learn that I didn't have anymore apple wood!!

And the stores which had it were still closed at 6:00 a.m.!!!

As I clutched my chest, falling to the ground, rolling to 'n fro, gasping for air, mortified at the thought of departing from my finely calibrated BRITU recipe, I decided to use 3 fist-size pieces of Pecan and nothing else.

The results were magnificent! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Just the right amount of mild smoke flavor.

The moral of the story:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Check your inventory of smoke wood in advance.
<LI>In the absence of fruit tree wood, use only one type of wood - but use half as much. Pecan or perhaps Hickory.
<LI>Don't roll around on the ground after the dog has "used" the lawn.
<LI>Who ever said that smoking meat is a dignified activity?
[/list]

-Albert /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Apple followed by plum.

I have an apple orchard and a pile of wood with plans for more trimming of the trees this winter. Does anyone need any apple wood located in central illinois?

Where i live, I have access to lots of alder and I use it on ribs (beef and pork) and fish with what I think are great results!!!! The apple that I was given seems to leave too "sharp" of a taste----

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TOM BAUER:
[qb]The apple that I was given seems to leave too "sharp" of a taste---- [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom,
Were you able to verify it was apple, in fact? Maybe a mix up? I've never been able to get ahold of apple, but everyone seems to like its mellow flavor. It just seems inconsistent.

Howard

Apple and Pear are very similar.( kinda mellow)
The Cherry that I have used seems to impart a sharp bitter flavor I wonder if my pallet just doesn't care for it.

[qb] Apple and Pear are very similar.( kinda mellow) The Cherry that I have used seems to impart a sharp bitter flavor I wonder if my pallet just doesn't care for it. [/qb]

I feel the same way about cherry having that bitter flavor, but I got a whole lot of it here so I'm gonna been using it for a while. I tried mixing some cherry and hickory together last week while cooking sausage - fantastic mix! Try cutting the cherry with another wood or use a little less.

Hey Tom! Where do you get your alder? Commercially or from friends? Or do you just go find one and do the George thing?

Hey bob j------ i wasn't sure of what post to answer---
You live in western Washington, notice the abundance of alder everywhere as you drive around???? Some consider it a nusiance, others consider it an asset... I know of a couple of tree trimmers that are glad to give me a few pieces if I ask for it and tell them what it is for. Also the guys that advertise firewood usually stock a lot of alder because of it's availability. Ask them for a couple of pieces. Even if you have to pay a couple of bucks, it won't force you go out and cut illegally--- I also work the city's recycling event which allows people to bring in wood that they have removed from their property, so it's free if I want to take some home. And alder is very easy to identify !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back