Favorite wood for brisket ?

Of those choices, Oak. My favorite for brisket is Pecan. Been using Eastern Red Oak for the past year+, since Pecan is hard for me too get these days. Plus the Oak I get for free by the truck load from a friend I work with. Heats the house well too in the cold months.

Al, I like oak and hickory. Adds a real robust flavor to the meat. Since I do a high heat cook I can really pour on the smoke to the brisket. Foiling the brisket on the smoker allows a lot of the juices to collect in the foil as it renders to cut down the harshness of the smoke. It gives you two things . A nice flavor to the meat plus great drippings to use in other dishes. Occasionally when I feel adventurous I'll use mesquite. I leave the other woods such as apple,cherry, pecan, and maple for the meats that seem to do better with subtler flavors. This includes fish,chicken and ribs. PB on the other hand can take almost anything since you usually pull it and mix exterior meat with the interior meat

oak is by far my favorite smoking wood for everything. hickory is a close second and pecan third but cant get that in the people's republic of wisconsin. its not a native tree here. wish i was back in texas.

Oak/cherry 50-50... Just did beef ribs last night... Yummo!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Oak for sure,

then pecan,

then mesquite.

I'm a native Texan and grew up in Hill Country and San Antonio where Live Oak rules.

Also lived in South Texas (Beeville) where Mesquite rules.

Also lived in Waco where Pecan rules.

It's funny, but each time I fire up with a different wood, I get a different set of "memories". Smoke is cool like that!

But OAK is my favorite!

Back