Favorite sides to go with brisket

G

Good morning all

Have a brisket going for the race this afternoon and was wondering what to prepare with it. Can't really come up with anything interesting so I was hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks-Rocky

You need a side with brisket?

I guess that would depend on how you're serving it. In sammies I'd just go with chips and maybe some slaw.

Plating it probably make some beans and a salad or baked potato and a veggie / salad.

How about some rice mixed with a favorite
BBQ sauce or some hash browns and bbq beans.

I know it's too late, and I may raise some eyebrows, but....
I like scalloped or au gratin potatoes, but it takes a lot of time to shop, peel, slice, layer, sauce, bake, etc etc.

My family loves (almost nearly as much) the boxed scallopped potatoes where you add milk and butter and let them cook away. Quick, CHEAP and easy.

T.

Thom, slice the potatoes with a food processor. Pull out enough same-size slices for the top layer, and pour the rest into the casserole dish, sliding them around with your fingers into an even layer.

If you're layering with cheese, just put a portion of the potatoes in a layer, smooth it out with your hands, add a little of the liquid (can shake the pan to help settle the potatoes), and top with cheese. Repeat. Then overlap the reserved slices over the top and drizzle in the rest of your liquid. Done. No one except Kevin K or a couple others will ever know that you didn't spend hours layering those potatoes.
icon_smile.gif

Rita, who used to be anal about layering potatoes

Rita,
I used to work in a B&B and did weekend events, and we did a lot of scalloped and gratin potatoes in round shafer liners. I had help in the kitchen, everyone peeled, they sliced and I layered. The mandolin blade scared the crap out of me and we didn't have the slicing blades for the cuisinart. Nor did we have guards for the mandolin and I'd nicked myself a couple of times. Plus we always included a layer or two of sweet potatoes with regular potatoes (they were more difficult to slice), fresh nutmeg, cream, white pepper and salt. They were awesome when done, but a lot of work.

At a family Thanksgiving my sister had brought these boxed potatoes and I was amazed at their ease of prep and pretty-good taste. I still do the "real" ones for holidays and special stuff, but for my Sunday family dinner, hey, I'll grab a box or two of instant. Thanks for the processor idea!

T. H.

Obviously to late but other things to think about for sides with brisket are:

- Twice baked Potatoes (stuffed with whatever you want)
- Wild rice
- Fingerling fries

Thom, I'll have to try your sweet potato idea--it sounds tasty and would look wonderful. Nowadays the new V-slicers have a guard, but the processor is still easier and quicker if you have a large feed tube, although you get more small pieces in the mix. But they're handy to tuck into empty spots in the casserole.

Rita

Potato salad, macaroni salad, marinated cucumber salad, pico de gallo (good with almost everything), grilled corn on-the-cob, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, candied yams or sweet potatoes, cornbread, drop biscuits and my favorite, cold beer!

I like scalloped potatoes, that's a great idea.
icon_smile.gif

I like cole slaw with mine, and I frequently toss some sweet potatoes on the pit and smoke them too. Scoop them out into a casserole, add butter, brown sugaer, garlic, and chipotle pepper. Maybe a little molasses. MMmmmm fine eats right there!
And I'm thinking a good quick side would be some Zatarains Dirty Rice.

Pinto beans and cornbread are always a favorite. Potato salad or roasted garlic mashed potatoes have been successful as well.

Back