Favorite sauce...revisited

This is going a bit off the original topic, but I'm curious if any of you more connected to the agriculture / food industry knew...

A business friend was telling me that milk prices have gone up significantly because of the price of corn (i.e. feed). Corn, he says, has gone up because it is being used to manufacture fuel. He says that this is also making corn sweetener more expensive, and food companies are going to start looking at switching back to using real sugar more. Is this realistic, or is the story just a bunch of jive?

On a side note, in Texas you can buy specially bottled Dr. Pepper made with real cane sugar. Sad thing is, I think it tastes funny.

And to keep this message somewhat on-topic, I am a fan of Stubbs Spicy BBQ sauce. It does have HFCS as the #3 ingredient, but for store bought stuff I enjoy it. (I don't like sweet BBQ sauce...)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A business friend was telling me that milk prices have gone up significantly because of the price of corn (i.e. feed). Corn, he says, has gone up because it is being used to manufacture fuel. He says that this is also making corn sweetener more expensive, and food companies are going to start looking at switching back to using real sugar more. Is this realistic, or is the story just a bunch of jive? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Your friend is correct about the first part. Also because of the high price of corn, prices for other grains have risen subdstantially, especially wheat.

As for whether prices will rise enough to cause a switch back to sugar I think it's too early to predict. But I think forward-looking companies are at least now entertaining the idea and strategizing systems changes that would need to occur should push come to shove. That's what I'm hearing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
If the first ingredient in the list is HFCS, as is the case with the sauce discussed above, then that is the primary ingredient. It is commonly the primary ingredient or secondary ingredient (behind water) in many sodas, 'juice' drinks, etc. The quantity is not small in these cases. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Im talking sauces not drinks
my point was that those who say they hate HFCS and all most likely have no issue using ketchup on fries and burgers. I dont think a lot of people even know how much of thier every day food contains it yet they single out one or two products and avoid it.
A lot of the mixed logic is the same as the person that washes down a Big Mac with a Diet coke because diet pop is better for you.Ive also yet to see any condiment or bbq sauce that lists HFCS as the first ingredient..not that its not out there

Well, apparently Sweet Baby Ray's primary ingredient is HFCS. I understand your point though.

Back