Favorite Rotisserie recipes?

Hank B

TVWBB Pro
My Silver A has an accessory.
icon_biggrin.gif
I scored a rotisserie off CL for $5. It was never even used because the person who bought it thought it would fit their gasser but it did not. It fits mine.
icon_smile.gif

So I'm wondering what I should make on it first. Chicken? Pineapple? Got any favorite rotisserie recipes?

thanks

Another one that's quite decadent, and mostly for special accasions is a beef rib roast (prime rib) rolled in herbs de provence, salt and pepper and then wrapped in about two pounds of good bacon (father's day).

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the tips. I frequently brine fowl, particularly turkey and I will be trying the Apple brine. By the time I had seen your reply, I had already picked up ingredients for Huli Huli chicken and Roadside chicken so I went with those. I did have a bit of an adventure midway through when I nudged the control knob up a bit and the cooker went from 275° to well over 400° by the next check.
icon_eek.gif
I thought I had blackened the birds! But I dropped the temp back and the they actually came out pretty good.

P1010268-PP.JPG

I need to spit the birds better though. They were kind of floppy on the spit. I guess I need to go through the meat or truss them up better.

best,
hank

Walter/Steve:

I'm a newcomer to rotissin', having just purchased my Summit earlier in the summer - I've done a few birds, but never achieved the color that Walter did on the one depicted in his photo - I leave the middle burners off, and place a tray underneath, per recipe instructions.

Did you by chance turn on your middle burners and remove the tray towards the end of the cook in order to get that crispy skin? If not, could you please advise how?

Originally posted by R L Bagwell:
... but never achieved the color that Walter did on the one depicted in his photo
My secret? From my notes:

Whoah! A nudge on the burner control can have a HUGE result. I need to watch this a little more carefully. I found the temperature reading over 400° and smoke pouring form the cooker. I opened it up and the RS bird had blackened skin that was splitting. Surprisingly the other bird looked more normal. I basted it again and cut temperature back to where I had it before. I'm going to put my Maverick in there so I can monitor temps a little more closely.

It was not intentional. I adjusted the gas and didn't watch carefully enough. It taught me that the gas control is not linear. The other thing that probably helps color is wood smoke. I used some apple chips in a smoke box:

P1010264-PP.JPG

I've smoked a lot of fowl and usually gotten great color. The low temperature I use for smoking does not produce a crispy skin. I think a higher temperature is required for that. Perhaps crank it up a bit near the end.

I used a two burner gasser (Silver A) for this so the middle burner was not an issue. I did not use a tray and removed the grate to provide additional clearance.

Walter:

Thanks for the reply - I've used a smoker box as well, but never got the color (grill temp @ 350º); I'm thinking for my next cook I'll remove the tray(s) and fire up the middle burners - short of the target temps - to see if that'll give me the color/skin texture I'm looking for.

Originally posted by george curtis:
i love doing those prerolled in a net leg of lamb. poke holes and insert garlic and rosemary in them. yum.
I take it the net is there because it has been boned. Sounds like a good choice for a rotisserie.

What level of doneness do you cook it to? Rare? Medium? Well done?

med rare. i try to take it to about 135-140 int and then let it rest. my wife likes it purty much cooked all the way through so then i take it to 160. hate doing that but gotta keep her happy.

Back