Fatties

c bain

TVWBB Fan
The only thing I have planned to smoke this weekend are some fatties. First time with these, and I'm excited about it after reading the posts on here.

A couple of questions:

1) Besides smoking plain fatties and rolling them in rub, what are some of the stuffings you all have found to work well. I was thinking of cheese, green peppers, and onions, but was curious what else you all have tried.

2) Has anyone ever tried this using bulk italian sausage and rolling it up?

Love fatties!!! if you are going to stuff with cheese use a cheese that will stand up to high heat.Maybe a cheese made for melting or fondue's. I put cheap cheese in one time and it ended up leaking out all over the smoker. I just like them rolled in a rub. Thought about next time I do some to cut in half sprinkle the rub on both sides of the cut portions and slap them together. That way the rub permeates the inside of the fatty not just on the outside

C -
My favorite fattie has string cheese, onion, garlic, roasted red bell peppers, and chipotle peppers in it, all finely chopped (except for the cheese!) I scrape the seeds out of the chipotles. I get the roasted red bells in a jar at the store.
Any cheese is going to leak out if you don't get a good seal on the sausage. After getting the filling in and work the fattie closed, I wrap it in that self stick glad wrap and get the ends twisted as tight as I can, like a tootsie roll. Through it in the fridge for a coouple of hours toi get it to firm up and set, then toss it on the smoker when ready. They are incredible.

Did up a fatty yesterday. Just a trial run to see if I'd like it. One of the best things I've ever had. I like my sausage a little on the dry side, and I found the 4 hour smoked fatty to be perfect! I had intended to had some left over for breakfast, but my wife, who was skeptical about the whole thing, kept nibbling away at it when she didn't think I was looking (as if I wouldn't notice it getting smaller).

Thanks to those who replied. Now I've got a whole new piece of meat to play around with.

New guy here. I just recently found a post asking and answering the same question I had - "What's a fatty?"

Well, I know now, but tell me how you're stuffing them. Do you just try to shove the stuffings down the center of the sausage and try to keep the overall shape intact? Or are you flattening it out and reshaping around the stuffings? Any pictures of your fatties with stuffings? Particularly some nice photos of one sliced after smoking?

EDITED

Doh! I shoulda used the search feature.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Back