Fattie Cooking

don

TVWBB Member
One of the benefits of this board is the information that passes freely. I had no idea until a couple of weeks ago what a "Fattie" was. They sound like some thing fun to make and good to eat. Tomorrow there will be room in the smoker for a roll of sausage to make a fattie. I do have a few questions about prepration and cooking.

Is a rub applied before smoking?
Do you mop them during smoking?
How do you serve them, if not eaten bere they reach the table?

Any information will be appreciated

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by don:
One of the benefits of this board is the information that passes freely. I had no idea until a couple of weeks ago what a "Fattie" was. They sound like some thing fun to make and good to eat. Tomorrow there will be room in the smoker for a roll of sausage to make a fattie. I do have a few questions about prepration and cooking.

Is a rub applied before smoking?
Do you mop them during smoking?
How do you serve them, if not eaten bere they reach the table?

Any information will be appreciated </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rub mine, but it's not necessary, just a matter of taste.

Mopping is not necessary.

You can serve them right off the cooker or I like to serve them cold with a cheese and olive/pickle platter.

Stick the fatty in the freezer for 30 minutes before putting onto the smoker, it will help it from melting into the grates!

Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stone:
Where I come from, a fattie is a marijuana cigarette. Thought you'd want to know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, from the land of Woodstock, if anyone knows... LOL No, I was a few years too young..

Bill

That was one of the greatest looks that I have ever seen on a fellow competitor's face. A couple of years ago my husband was visiting with the team next door, whom we had just met for the first time. I was carrying a big roll of Blue and Gold sausage in my hand, getting ready to prep it for its journey to its ultimate state of luscious fattiness.

I walked over to their site, standing next to DH Robert, tossing that big roll of sausage end over end in one hand, and offhandedly remarked that we were going to be smokin' a big ol' fattie later on. Their eyes got big, and you could have heard a pin drop for about 30 seconds, at which time DH Robert broke into laughter, realizing that they thought I meant to smoke that same illegal plant-based substance rather than a meat-based product.
icon_biggrin.gif

We've been set up next to them several times since, and we continue to joke about smokin' a fattie with them.

To stay on topic, we like to rub maple-flavored pork sausage with our favorite rub de jour for pork, smoke it to about 170-ish, then glaze it with a raspberry chipotle sauce and put it back on the cooker just long enough for the glaze to set. Yum...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and we continue to joke about smokin' a fattie with them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That kind of fattie would cost you almost as much as your entry fees...or so I've heard.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the fattie information. I'm a little to old to know about the reference to a smoke. Will let you know how this expermint turns out.

GregJ mentioned cutting it up and using in
omelettes the next day. I like to put a few
fattie slices on the bottom of a hamburger
bun and top with a scrambled egg. It makes
a very nice breakfast sandwich.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stone:
Where I come from, a fattie is a marijuana cigarette. Thought you'd want to know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And your name is Stone. That's too funny.
icon_biggrin.gif
I like both kinds of fatties. Though I eat the one often, it's been ages for the other.
icon_smile.gif

Back