Father's Day Smoke

Chad Dickinson

TVWBB Member
Planning either a brisket, or a renowned Mr. Brown for fathers day. Problem is: I work until 9pm Saturday night, and on Sunday until 3:15.

What could I do to get one of these done? I'd like to do the butt roast, but am concerned. It'll be my first long smoke.

I only got my WSM 2 weeks ago, and have only done ribs (went for 7 hours....and were outstanding).

I'm just wondering: A. Is the time frame given even possible for an afternoon/evening pulled pork dinner?

and B. Should I just wait until I'll be able to be around a bit more, and do my first long smoke then?

Thanks all!

Chad

How big is the butt you are doing? And what time do you want to eat?

Regardless, I think you can definitely have the smoke completed by the time you leave. I put 2 6 pounders on last week at 10:30 and pulled them off at 2 p.m. - and that was without having to foil. If you are running short on time, just foil them and bring the smoker up to around 260-ish. It will finish quickly that way.

The big thing is to make sure you can get them on quickly when you get home... If possible, have the smoker nearly set up (charcoal in ring, smoke wood in place, grates/water pan ready and cleaned, etc. Then all you have to do is light some fuel in the chimney, fill the water pan throw the coal on, put the meat on and you are off and running by 10 p.m.

I would run the smoker in the 235-245 range... slightly higher... just to make sure you don't have a 18 hour cook, which isn't too out of the ordinary, depending on the size of the butt.

Good luck.

I agree with Adam....have everything ready to go such that you can fire up the charcoal as soon as you get home from work. Put the butt on to cook, but plan to stay up an hour or so to be sure the WSM cycles in to the right temp. Seeins as you've only had your WSM for two weeks, I'm assuming you will be using the waterpan that came with the smoker. If that be the case, make sure you fill'er up before you go to bed, and then maybe plan on getting about 5 hours at most before refilling the waterbowl. You might want to plan on getting up early morningish to check the water, then head back to bed to get a few more hours shuteye.

Back