Father's Day Pork Tenderloin

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
For my Father's Day cook, I adapted a recipe from The Weber Smoke cookbook: brined two pork tenderloins in a bourbon/salt/red pepper flakes for 6 hours then let rest at room temp. I set up the Kettle for a "mini minion" indirect fire.

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

Meanwhile, I reduced the juice of two naval oranges and a lime by half over med-low heat, and added bourbon and reduced by half again. I added the zest of the citrus and finely chopped cilantro to the glaze then mopped the meat about an hour into the cook and again every 30 min for a total of 2.5 hrs.

IMG_0702.jpg

I pulled them at 150* after grilling some pineapple slices and put it under foil until the sides were ready.

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

Looks great. However, I have done two on my OTP a little less involved. I got one marinated tenderloin from Trader Joes, a garlic and pepper, and one from our local market, teriyaki. I direct grilled them at around 500 degrees using a small oak chunk each time. I pulled them at 160 degrees on my remote thermometer. They both turned out well technically, meaning moist and tender. The garlic and pepper marinated tenderloin tasted great, but the other turned out too salty.

The only reason I used store bought marinated meat is that I didn't have the time to do otherwise. The next time I'll plan better and marinate with something that plays well with pineapple as that is an idea that hadn't occurred to me, but it does make real sense as it goes well with pork.

Your right Barry, I could have gone with store marinaded tenderloins and cooked them HH and it would have been much less involved. ...but the involvement was the point. I prefer the journey to get me to a destination as much as I like the destination itself.

Dwain,

I really like your thoughts on the journey, and the tenderloins look great. I'd also suggest you try the "Disappearing Tenderloin" recipe in the Weber Big Book of Grilling. It's chile based and fantastic! It's a big time family favorite.

Back