Fat Removed Brisket?

G

My local butcher sells briskets that are completely trimmed of fat. I would like to try smoking one in my WSM, but am concerned it would come out too dry.

The reason I am looking to smoke one of these instead of a full untrimmed one is that I am pressed for time and they sell 3 pounders which I am hoping I can smoke in about 6 hours, which should be plenty for a serving 5 people.

Has anyone had any experience smoking one of these fat trimmed briskets?

Thanks in advance,
Brook

"Pressed for time" and cooking on VWB usually don't go hand-in-hand. However...I also have my local butcher trim the majority of the fat cap, but not all. This fat is needed in aiding in keeping the brisket moist and as a flavor enhancer.

Thanks, this helps. I will search for another source for this weekend's feast.

Brook, If you have a Super Wal Mart nearby they sell flats that still have some fat left on them, they are pricey though at almost $4.00 a lb. BJ's and Sam's also sell flats at about the same price. HTH

I can confirm whay Bryan said, i've done 2 flat only briskets both purchased at BJs. I think one was 4lbs and the other 4.5lbs. They were about $15-$17 if I remember correctly.
Todd

I don't use those supermarket briskets because they are trimmed so much. But I have heard of people laying strips of bacon over the top to supply the fat.

Did a 5 - 6 # flat a couple of weeks ago (high temp method) that was super-trimmed. Went to grocery store and picked up some suet. Sliced about the thickness that I would normally leave the flat cap. Placed the normally fat side flat down on top of suet. Worked great.

In competition and at home I only trim the fat to 1/8-1/4 inch...smoke will not penetrate anything thicker. I also only cook whole briskets...The flats are "more lean" but should still contain enough fat to keep the meat moist. You can always use foil "texas cheat" to retain moisture and brine your brisket prior to cooking. Good luck...

BBQJEDI

Hi,

Keep in mind that the fat cap dosen't add any moisture to the meat. But when cooking on the WSM, fat side down does protect the brisket from the heat from below. What I do is lay down a nice bed of applewood smoked bacon on the grate and then put the brisket on top. Works great and the bacon is really great for a snack.

Al

Brook
The fat will not slow down the cook it is the connective tissue, it needs time to break down.

To get a six hour cook you need higher pit temps and foil. Smoke for 2 to 3 hours and then in foil with some apple juice or ?..
Run the pit temp up to 300 maybe a little higher and keep a close eye on the internal temp of the brisket. Pull the brisket off at 190 to 195 internal and let rest.

Jim

Back