Fat cap

DennisM

TVWBB Pro
I am doing a 11.5 lb packer cut brisket overnight tonight. This fat cap seems to be much larger than any other brisket I have cooked. My question what is the optimum amount of fat you want on a brisket? Curious if I should trim it. I am going to do it low, and slow overnight. thanks.

That is a good place to start. BBQ is very subjective though. I saw someone here post last year, I think, that they didn't like beef fat. They figured out they liked fat on the brisket and they never trim the brisket now. Others cut off the fat and chunk the fat into smaller cubes and bag them and throw into the freezer for when they need some beef fat.

I usually trim mine to around a quater inch. I don't like beef fat either but I will eat a little from a brisket.

I sometimes trim the fat out of the pocket between the point and flat but most times don't bother trimming any at all. Remember that fat can be trimmed post-cook if you'd rather not have the fat on your (or your guests) plate.

I'm with Kevin. I leave it on and then once it's cooked, it pretty much just scrapes off. I'd rather do that than take a higher risk of a dryer brisket.

Yeah I trimmed some...the brisket it done, and wonderful. I hope I do not eat too much of it before the UFC party tonight.

Back