Fastest brisket ever?

B. Foster

TVWBB Fan
I just put this brisket on at about 6:30 tonight. It's now getting close to 9:30 and my thermometer shows the meat temp at 116 degrees. This is the first time I've tried and ET-73 so I'm not being very trusting. I've smoked quite a few briskets before but none have come up to temp this fast.

BTW, the Smoker temp is steady at 229 degrees.

Any thoughts?

That temp is not unsual to me. Was your brisket cold when you put it in or room temp? NNever hurts to check your probe. Did you try an alternate therm in the same spot?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Kruger:
That temp is not unsual to me. Was your brisket cold when you put it in or room temp? NNever hurts to check your probe. Did you try an alternate therm in the same spot? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nosir, I didn't try a different probe...I guess I've always had a phobia of poking to many holes in meat!
icon_smile.gif
I'm guessing that I'm just getting jittery when I shouldn't be because I'm using a new theremometer that I can see right on the desk in front of me! I never checked my BBQ more than once every few hours and haven't seen the temperature shoot up like this. I'm sure it'll hit a plateau soon enough and I'll be hoping for it to be done by 8am!

Thanks Kevin,

Oh, when I put the brisket on, it was 51 degrees. Not close to room temp...I didn't figure I'd have time to get this one done by 8.

Being a newb to all of this I always freak out a bit when I see temperatures rise quickly early on in the cook. Don't worry, it's normal.

Yep, I had nothing to worry about. It didn't finish until around 8:15 this morning. I'm just not used to watching temperatures of the meat at the beginning. Dang ET-73!
icon_smile.gif

Back