F*&! Earl, I'm Barbecuing! Updated with pics

Aaron Legge

TVWBB Fan
The **** with Hurricane Earl, I got 'cuing to do!

152008W5_NL_sm.gif

Brisket tonight, hunkering down on Saturday and a pork shoulder and two chickens for Sunday.

Anyone else in Earl's path?

Update #1:
Shifted big cookout plans to Sunday instead of Saturday and decided to do a brisket on Friday to have some BBQ to eat while waiting out the storm on Saturday.
6lb brisket flat rubbed:
100_1452_thumb.jpg

I didn’t get things going until close to 4:30 so I set the dampers wide open on the offset smoker to try a high heat brisket.
img_0034_thumb.jpg

After 3 hours the brisket was reading between 150 and 160 all over so I foiled it and put it back on the smoker. Temps in the smoker were dropping and I didn’t want to add extra charcoal so I put the foiled brisket on the kettle grill after we ate to use the leftover charcoal in there to finish it. Pulled at probe tender and let it rest for 45 mins.
img_0035_thumb.jpg

I started it fat cap up and flipped the fat cap down after the first hour. I probably should have done it the other way around as I found the final result a little dry.

While waiting for Earl to blow through this morning I started prepping for tomorrow’s BBQ.; I had picked up a 10lb pork picnic shoulder and two 5 lb chickens.Pulled pork and Alabama White Chicken are on the menu for 10 people.

Picnic Shoulder out of the fridge:
img_0168_thumb.jpg

Skin off:
img_0172_thumb.jpg

Rubbed:
img_0174_thumb.jpg

Still have power with the worst of things forecasted to be coming through any minute now. Will update with chicken prep later today.

Sounds like you may need a concrete block or sand-bag wind break, but Go For It!

Hope it dies down before it gets to ya'

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these Q-ers from the completion of their appointed cooks.

I took a little liberty with this Motto, but I think it will work.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these Q-ers from the completion of their appointed cooks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like an awesome Signature line.

Back