Extreme Heat Minion Method

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Well, I'm planning to do a butt on saturday, my first in a while. I've used the minion method quite a bit, but mostly only when it's cool. The problem is, it's not going to be cool here on Saturday. As a matter of fact, it is going to be hot. Very hot...107.

How in the heck am I going to control the heat? I'm guessing that if it's 107 out, the wsm without any fire at all will be 120+. I also guess that for the first few hours I'll be o.k. But when the whole bed of coals gets going, I seriously doubt whether I can keep it a Q temps, even with all the vents closed. Or can I? I have faith in the WSM, but...

Dante says "Welcome to my world" ...

Sorry, that's probably an inappropriate intro, but I'll say that when my lows at night are 94, I can stake/make claim for what happens in God's Oven and Phoenician Grill. I swear to you I could cook at 160+ just using the black body in our Valley of the Sun.

Go light on the MM ... I sometimes use as little as 8 to 10 lit briquettes because the ambient temperature is "up there". But I'll also sing the praises of the WSM and say that it allows me to measure my heat, even when it is inhuman, through the bottom vents to create the right environ for butts and brisket.

I'm planning on 2 butts bone-in this weekend with 2 butts bone-out under. Should be interesting as Emily sprinkles on our party.

Phil, If your a sand user i would go back to water in the pan. That will help with keeping the temps in check. And as Jimbo said start out with minimal lit briqs. I think you'll be just fine on your cook.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

When its hot I don't use a charcoal chimney. I just throw a Weber starter cube right into the charcoal pile. By the time it is finished burning, I have just the right amount of coals lit and I can then regulate from there.

What a great post. Yesterday was about a million degrees here in Southwestern Ontario with humidity to match. I fired up the mighty WSM in the shade and everyting was fine till the sun took over. Had a fine old time fighting with temps for the next two hours. Ribs turned out ok but waht a struggle!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As a matter of fact, it is going to be hot. Very hot...107. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not a problem for us in the UK!!! Two summers ago, it hit 100 for the first time in something like 200 years! Several times this year 90, but today, back to about 70. And grey - probably rain later.

In fact, my problem is more often wondering if it's worth firing up - do I really want to get wet while smoking??!!

Andrew

Back