Exterior Cleaning

Luis L.

Banned
What is the best way to clean the porcelain enamel exterior? Any cleansing sprays like lysol?

Also best way to clean rusted grates?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
Glen W. has the cleanest looking well used cookers I have ever seen. He actually posted the name of his cleaner but I can't remember. Do a search. I use a spray cleaner that is safe for painted surfaces. A wire brush for light grate cleaning or an atomic explosion for some that I just couldn't get clean with the brush.

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never cleaned the exterior of my WSMs... those are marks of pride! I have only been using my new 22 lately because the 18 is so far ahead.

If the grates are rusted, you just have to srcrub them down with a wire brush and oil them to prevent the rust from getting out of control. I would replace badly rusted grates.

Best way to clean the grates is to cook off the residues immediately when you are done cooking. If I know I am going to have the performer fired up anytime soon, I throw the grates on there for cleaning later. Otherwise, I take the top & middle sections off the WSM, put the grates on top of the charcoal ring, and put either the lid to the WSM, or now on my 22 WSM the lid from a performer and let the stuff burn off. I like the performer lid because I can shut it afterwards and have a great seal all the way around to shut down the coals.

Then just hit them with a wire brush to get rid of the charred residue. Wipe down with a cloth and they will be shiny.

To clean the outside I keep it simple. One bucket of water, one wet microfiber towel and one dry microfiber towel. Wipe it down with lots of water then dry...gets it nice and shiny.

Thanks everyone. I just don't want to clean it with some harsh agent and damage the coating or scratch the paint. Trying to be safe here. Thanks again

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
I have never cleaned the exterior of my WSMs... those are marks of pride! I have only been using my new 22 lately because the 18 is so far ahead.

If the grates are rusted, you just have to srcrub them down with a wire brush and oil them to prevent the rust from getting out of control. I would replace badly rusted grates.

Best way to clean the grates is to cook off the residues immediately when you are done cooking. If I know I am going to have the performer fired up anytime soon, I throw the grates on there for cleaning later. Otherwise, I take the top & middle sections off the WSM, put the grates on top of the charcoal ring, and put either the lid to the WSM, or now on my 22 WSM the lid from a performer and let the stuff burn off. I like the performer lid because I can shut it afterwards and have a great seal all the way around to shut down the coals.

Then just hit them with a wire brush to get rid of the charred residue. Wipe down with a cloth and they will be shiny. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I bought a used WSM and the grates need some heavy cleaning. Should I put them in a trash bag with water and soap overnight? Will this help loosen the rust?

soap and water are not going to get rust off of a grate. If you're sure it's rust, you should try to get enough money to buy some new grates. You could get by with just a top grate.

If it's not rust and there's a lot of cooked on grease/food/whatever, you could put the grates in a plastic bag and spray them with oven cleaner and let that sit. Rinse off and you should have some like new grates.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
soap and water are not going to get rust off of a grate. If you're sure it's rust, you should try to get enough money to buy some new grates. You could get by with just a top grate.

If it's not rust and there's a lot of cooked on grease/food/whatever, you could put the grates in a plastic bag and spray them with oven cleaner and let that sit. Rinse off and you should have some like new grates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After closer inspection, it may not me rust. You're right, it looks like old grease. It's orange just like rust. Thanks, I'm going to try the oven cleaner trick.

Back