Extended rib rest

Greg W

I am going to be smoking some St. Louis spares this Saturday, but my timing is getting thrown off due to an event that falls right during the ideal time to start smoking the ribs.

How long can I rest ribs and still have them be stellar? Wrap in foil and put in a cooler?

I need to have them served at 3:00.

Looking for any tips, experience or suggestions. Thanks!

Higher heat ribs, which is the only way I do them now, meaning 275 degrees needs about five and a half to six hours if foiled. I have kept them for two hours in the foil after they rested for two hours and they were great. So if going that temp figure from there where you need to be depending on circumstances. I have not kept them for more than two hours so you will need some other opinions for that.
Either way, good luck I hope it works out great for you

Higher heat ribs, which is the only way I do them now, meaning 275 degrees needs about five and a half to six hours if foiled. I have kept them for two hours in the foil after they rested for two hours and they were great. So if going that temp figure from there where you need to be depending on circumstances. I have not kept them for more than two hours so you will need some other opinions for that.
Either way, good luck I hope it works out great for you

So your ribs were 10 hours from start to finish? 6 hour cook, 2 hour rest and 2 hours more in foil?

Ribs would be cooled down if left to rest on a counter for 2 hrs. I have a small cooler that just fits 2 racks if they are cut in half and a couple dish towels for insulation. If I preheat the cooler with boiling water I've kept them hot for 5 hrs. If you use a clay saucer for a heat sink put that in the cooler along with the ribs and it will give you a longer holding time. Or heat a couple bricks in your gasser if you have one and put them in the cooler.

No Gregg the cook was around six hours total, but that always varies some. I cook them to my trusty toothpick slides right through with a hint of grab between the bones.

Back