Expiration dates, when to buy

This is a total "newbie" question but if I pick up a couple of butts/picnics on Wednesday, will they still be good to cook overnight Saturday? To be honest, I don't remember seeing any dates on the last one.

If the expiration date is later than the date you plan to cook, you should be alright. If it is possible to buy closer to your cook date, then that is always better. The fresher, the better.

Also, before you stash something there for a few days, if you haven't recently checked your refrigerator temps, you might want to take the internal temp of something that is in the meat drawer to verify that it is under 40 degrees.

When I lived in Japan, most people had small refrigerators and would go shopping for fresh fish, meat or veggies on a daily basis. Virtually every block had a mom & pop store with very fresh produce, so you could just walk down the street and pick up a few of this and a few of that. I got very attached to that way of shopping.

You always have to look for (and find) the expiration date. Typically, I buy butts in crovac and they're usually good for a week or more. If what you're buying is in crovac, I don't think Wed. to Saturday is any big deal. If they're not in crovac, I'd buy them Saturday morning - but most important is to buy from someone you trust and go by the expiration/sell by date.

I beg to differ.

Expiration/sell-by dates are fairly meaningless. A supermarket/grocery/butcher can put whatever date they wish on a retail package. There is no legally mandated criteria for determining such dates for any food items except for some dairy products and for infant formula. (Individual stores or chains might have corporate criteria but to each their own. Meats that are unsold after their sell-by dates are, if they look fine, often ground for ground meat packages.) The only date that you can rely on is the pack date which the packer puts on the cases of meat they ship. That date is mandated by law. It is not often seen by the consumer.

Back