experimenting with the rotisserie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I got a 5# chicken, seasoned with garlic salt, pepper, & Emerill's southwest rub. Threw a couple handfuls of mesquite over the 1.5 chimneys of charcoal briqs. Checked on it 20 minutes in & the lid temp was >500F, chicken skin is already browned... Closed the bottom vent to ~30% open. This is the first time I've had to lower the temp on the kettle - I usually just high temp grill on it or create zones. I piled the coals just in the center of the roti... note to self: slow down. & thank goodness it's only $5.00

10 minutes later the temp choked down to 463F (LOL), the skin looks like it's done, & the chicken is @ 120F. I must be making chicken jerky.

What's the recommended thermometer for a OTG?

1 hr in: lid temp ~420F with bottom vent open 30%. I noticed a gap on the bottom side of the roti ring that must be preventing sealing. The chicken is now 146F & it looks like I'll be able to eat this 'mistake' in about a half hour(if only all of life's mistakes were so tasty). Totally closed off the bottom vents.

I usually put the charcoal on the sides, in baskets if you have them, with a drip pan under the meat. I measure the dome temp through the lid vent, with the vent over the spit, not the fire. I shoot for temp of 350.

pulled it @ 167F (breast), @ ~93 minutes. 360F lid temp...

My God. This was no 'mistake', it was the best roti chicken I've ever eaten. I had a couple of friends drop in & one gave me the line after seeing it on the que: "anyone can eat when they're hungry, it takes a real man to eat when they're full".

anyway, to say the least: IMO the roti is good, um kay.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cole:
I usually put the charcoal on the sides, in baskets if you have them, with a drip pan under the meat. I measure the dome temp through the lid vent, with the vent over the spit, not the fire. I shoot for temp of 350. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How big are the baskets - do they hold a chimney/half-chimney each? I don't have them.

I think it's time to install a thermometer through the lid of the kettles.... may as well do it on the WSM too.

I just ordered 2 of the BQ225 thermometers - 50F to 700F... one for the WSM, one for one of the kettle lids.

http://www.teltru.com/barbecue.asp

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How big are the baskets - do they hold a chimney/half-chimney each? I don't have them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here are the baskets:
Charcoal Baskets

These also work like a charm:
Charcoal Rails

i just use a charcoal rail on one side. start the fire the minion way and set it and forget it. a 3 pounder is about the best and is done in an hour or so. you can start and stop the rotiss to crisp up the skin if needed. i just don't see it as being that difficult and i imagine that the more you do you will see this.

I do mine like Steve does his with Weber baskets. If you want to do it on the cheap just stand a few bricks on edge then fill in back of them with charcoal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back