Ever use Royal Oak Natural wood Charcoal?

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
Hi All,
I stopped by Wally world today, and bought a 10 lb. bag of Royal Oak 100% Natural Wood Charcoal. The price was just a little over $5 bucks. Have you used this brand before? if so, how well does it compares to Kingsford and Rancher's charcoal? Does it last long, or does it burn too hot? How well does this brand work on the WSM?

If it's the "made in the USA" lump, it's one of the best. Don't know how it works on WSM cause I don't own one.
icon_eek.gif
Works great on a kamado.

Roger

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R Addy:
If it's the "made in the USA" lump, it's one of the best. Don't know how it works on WSM cause I don't own one.
icon_eek.gif
Works great on a kamado.

Roger </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use it in my WSM. Works great. Like R Addy said, make sure it's made in the great Ol USA. Get some!!!!!!

I've gone through around 15 bags or so, since I switched to lump. I usually purchase 5 or 6 at a time. 6 just fits a shopping cart, 2 on the bottom 4 in the basket
icon_wink.gif
plus you look cool.

With lump you have to take care to "arrange" the coals in your ring. I fill about a quarter of a ring, then get my hands dirty and spread the coals around. Then fill another quarter and keep spreading/packing, every quarter of a ring. This assures that your getting as much lump possible in your ring with no big gaps or air pockets.

In my experience lump doesnt last as long as Kingsford, but I've gotten a solid 16 hours on a double butt cook.

I have had good luck with it, here is a good review that I point new RO lump users to for info. Hope this helps.

Brandon

I'm pretty new at this, but have been using R.O. lump (U.S.-made stuff - they also package some from south america, which I've heard is not as good - check-out the naked whiz's site for more info.)

Good stuff IMHO - without too much work, I get about 7-8 hours of burn-time out of a full ring of it. Like most lump, it burns-down to almost nothing. I find that it will burn for about 4-6 hours without being disturbed, then I usually need to stir the coals a bit -- I use a chunk of conduit about 2-feet long with a 6-inch "L" bend.

Next-up, I'm going to try some Grove charcoal that I got my hands on.....
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Yes, the bag says 'Made in America". I decided to first try using it on my weber grill. I filled up a chimney of the stuff. I sure sparks alot. But it lit very quickly. I dumped it on my weber grill, and grilled some chicken thighs and corn on the cob. It seem to work very well on the grill. I'm not sure how to use on the WSM smoker, yet....I guess it will take some learning, and practice to adapt it to the wsm smoker. Thanks for the tips guys....

Jamie, sorry i didnt respond more quickly... I used kingsford for my lit up until now. (8-10) briq. Recently I've been using 5-6 larger chunks of lump (say half a fist size roughly) I use less lit then alot of people, but I make sure it is completely lit (not close but COMPLETELY)
icon_wink.gif
Hope you get this and it helps.

Michael, it works well IMO, I'm sure there is better lump out there, and if you can find other kinds, then by all means experiment with other brands. I can only find RO and it works well for me.

Brandon

The only lump I have used to date is the Big Green Egg brand as I saw it at a store I was in and decided to try it. It works great. I have read that BGE brand is made by Royal Oak. Anyone have thoughts on how it compares to the normal Royal Oak? The price is certainly better.

Bob

Back