Ever cook steaks in the WSM?

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
Thinking about cooking some steaks in the smoker prior to my all night pork butt smoke. Has anyone ever tried this? I was thinking it would make a great dinner with the charcoal and apple/pecan chunks. Would the meat kill my temps when I added the butts?

Ideally I'd like to cook 4 filets (about 8-10oz. each). Anyone have an idea of some temps and time? We like our steaks medium. Since I'll be using the Minion method for the pork, does it run very hot at first and then eventually cool off when u adjust the vents? If so, can I add the steaks while its over 250F?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Since I'll be using the Minion method for the pork, does it run very hot at first and then eventually cool off when u adjust the vents? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
russell--

You really have to try the approach at the link Bryan posted. You can modify it to accomodate different cuts but thick ones work best. There are methods to set up your cooker as a grill.

The Minion won't work for both steaks and butt. With the MM you assemble your cooker and add the meat--the butt in this case--right away. When your temps climb to 200 you start closing down lower vents to get your target temp to settle around 250 lid. You could put the steaks in at the same time to get some some, but you'd have to pull them to finish on a high-heat grill, and then you'd need to restabilize the WSM.

Next step is to find a 3 inch AAA Alberta Ribeyes. I assume it's next to the Kobe Tri-Tip which I don't have access too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Faery:
Next step is to find a 3 inch AAA Alberta Ribeyes. I assume it's next to the Kobe Tri-Tip which I don't have access too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Here in the states we would look for Prime Dry Aged beef to use instead of the AAA or CAB (Angus) dry or wet aged. If you can't find that then use Choice wet aged beef.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Bryan. Never tried the wet aged beef, guess I'm old fashion. Looking at the prices it may be in my future. I remember having AAA Albertas once, I used to live right on the boarder. They were very tasty as I recall. Now I prefer getting the Nebraska corn fed beef. Any suggestions on reputable online meat markets? Online shopping, for food anyways, makes me nervous.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Faery:
Thanks Bryan. Never tried the wet aged beef, guess I'm old fashion. Looking at the prices it may be in my future. I remember having AAA Albertas once, I used to live right on the boarder. They were very tasty as I recall. Now I prefer getting the Nebraska corn fed beef. Any suggestions on reputable online meat markets? Online shopping, for food anyways, makes me nervous. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Matt, I picked up 2 Choice wet aged Delmoincos at Wegmans and they were fantasic. I noticed a big difference in taste from the reg Choice Delmonicos i usally buy. Give them a go sometime i think you'll like them.
icon_smile.gif

Matt--

You can also buy a choice rib roast, dry-age it yourself, and cut your monster steaks from it.

I prefer grassfed beef for its beefier flavor. If you also like grassfed then:

http://estores.infront.com/lgbeef/

and http://www.napafreerangebeef.com/

Family farms (all in N Calif) that raise beeves and sell direct usually starting now through the mid-fall are listed at

http://www.eatwild.com/products/california.html

Most of them sell whole, halves, and quarters. Some sell by the cut as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. The problem with the stores here is finding any steaks over 2 inches. I would like it at least 3 to try and smoke some.

Same here. I buy a rib roast and cut it myself.If I know I'll be home for 5 or 6 days I age it, if not I just cut and cook.

Back