et73 brisket rate of meat temp rise help

PaulH

I am at aprox the three hour mark on my first brisket cook. I am smoking right around 250 and at this point the temp of the brisket is reading around 130 degrees on my et73. I know there will be a plateau in the cook but that temp seems high this early in the cook. Is this correct or is something wrong? I put the brisket in and it was at about 45 degrees and i put the et73 in the brisket right when i put it on.

nothing to worry about. she should stall around 165* give or take a few degrees and hang there for some time.

a couple of things to think about:

1) where are you measuring you wsm temp? its not critical, but if you are taking a dome temp opposite the top vent, assume the 250* is low. That's a perfectly fine brisket temp, and basically what I run, but don't be surprised if things go slightly faster than anticipated. But remain patient, its done when its done.

I just picked up an ET-73 (I needed the alarm so I can get some sleep at comps) but never used it. Now that I think about the set up, I'm going to assume you have the cook probe on the grate, so you can disregard most of what I stated about.

2) probe placement in the flat can make temps deceiving. its not really thick so if you aren't in the exact middleof the thickest part you aren't reading the coolest temp in the brisket. Not a problem either, as temps are only a guideline.

good luck.

in my experience with brisket and chuck rolls the meat temp rises rapidly and then slows drastically. it could be probe placement, but i think the temp rise will slow down soon.

thanks for the responses it continued to climb pretty quickly to around 155 plateaued around 160 and once it came out of plateau it crawled slowly and surely to 185 and thats where I took it off

Back