ET-732

Luis L.

Banned
If the new ET732 probes don't fit in the eyelets. How would one go about monitoring chamber and food temp?

I don't have a 732 but I suppose you could simply run the meat probe under the lid, drop the cooker probe through a vent hole.

I don't often temp meat but when I need to monitor cooker temps remotely I drop the cooker probe through a lid vent - the probe wire and probe meet right at the vent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
If the probe wire is the same as the 73, no, not much of a gap at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good, thanks!

Is the eyelet to small or to much of a bend in the probe? You can straighten the probe a bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Is the eyelet to small or to much of a bend in the probe? You can straighten the probe a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have it yet. I'm just going off by what other members have said. I'd sure like to know though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Is the eyelet to small or to much of a bend in the probe? You can straighten the probe a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem isn't the bend. What stops the probe from passing through is the crimp on the wire end. It creates a couple wings that effectively increase the diameter and prevent it from passing through.

Luis, I myself just received my ET-732 last week, and before I invested in a set of eyelets I wanted to make sure the larger probes would pass through them. Well, being impatient I went to Lowes this morning and purchased the 3/8" lamp rewiring threaded tube, and cut a piece down to 1/2". I was very plesed to see that BOTH probes passed through with ease.
icon_biggrin.gif
In all honesty, 1/2" is longer than needed, but I wanted a little extra length to attach a cap after I was finishid cooking. I went ahead and mounted one on mt Mini-WSM, here are a couple of pics..
100_0064.jpg

with the cap on..
100_0061.jpg

Both probe wires ran through...
100_0065.jpg

100_0067.jpg

Luis, again, I cut this piece about 1/2" in length. But all you would need is about 1/4" if you don't want to cap the tube when finished. I hope this helps,
Tim

Curious...how risky would it be to bend the wings on the crimp in to thin it out? Would I likely destroy the integrity of the connection?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Curt:
Curious...how risky would it be to bend the wings on the crimp in to thin it out? Would I likely destroy the integrity of the connection? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did that recently with a wire stripper. Seems to work fine. However, I've been handling insertion/removal very carefully. I haven't figured out a way to fasten everything together with the rounded crimps yet.

If you run them temp probe under the lid, it shouldn't cause a gap prolem, but might risk crimping the probe.

I usually just dangle my cooker probe in just above the top grate. Rarely check meat temp anymore as I go more by feel, except with chicken. I use a thermapen to ensure it's done.

I just got mine. I haven't used it yet but the crimps on the new probes aren't even close to fitting through the guru eyelets. I can't imagine reconfiguring the crimps enough to fit through. I guess I'm off to Home Depot.

I put a 1/8" wide notch in the middle section where the top piece meets the middle section. The lid fits tight and I don't have to worry about threading the probe through the eyelet.

Back