ET-73 position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Zarecky

TVWBB Pro
I know this has been asked before but I can't seem to find the post.
icon_confused.gif

I'm doing 3 or 4 butts on friday (all night smoke). Where sould I put the meat and grate probes? Top or bottom?

MikeZ

This is a totally unscientific approach to the question, but I've always monitored the pit temperature at the top grate, figuring that the bottom grate might be a few degrees cooler. If I'm cooking on both grates, I put the smaller butt(s) on the lower grate, figuring maybe the lighter weight will offset (at least partly) the difference in temperature. And, most of the time, everything gets done at about the same time.

Hi Mike. I put my grate probe on the upper rack knowing that the lower rack is going to be 10* cooler or so. As far as the meat probe, doing multiple butts, theres two ways you can look at it. If you put it in the largest butt, then when it reaches your target temperature, you can be assured that the rest of the butts are done as well, although I would still check them all individually to make sure. On the other hand, you could put the probe in the smaller butt in order to get it off the smoker as soon as its target temp is met, foil and store in a cooler and then put the probe in the next largest and so on. I guess its just a matter of how critical you are of how long each butt stays at the target temperature as to which way you go.

Tony

Pit probe on top grate, away from edges and meat. Smaller meat items (eg butts) on bottom grate, with meat probe in the smallest one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back