ET-73 "fell apart"

Tormod Eikill

TVWBB Member
I was happy today when I got mail from the US with a Maverick ET-73 inside. The first thing I noticed, though, was that it looked a bit "cheap" all together. Especially the on-off switches on both transmitter and reciever was very small and looked vulnerable. And I was right: After playing some minutes with one of the switches - it stopped working.

That stinks. I received mine not too long ago and have been very happy. (I just wish the probe wires were longer.) I even did the antenna modification. Using the cautions on the post from last year everything went of without a hitch. I have only used it three times but so far so good. In all honesty it is only $40.00 (US)so I'm not surprised its not that durable. I'll be sure to be careful with mine.

Did you call them? I'm sure they'd replace it. I've used them for years and recently bought another. The only problem I had is one food probe blew due to loosing the insulation. One mod I'd recommend is getting some high temp shrink wrap tubing and seal the lead/wire joint to reinforce that.

I told Smarthome about it and they're sending me a whole new package. Very good service. But the on-off switch will be the same tiny plastic thing, I'm afraid.

Back