ET-73 Battery life ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtis D. Fry

I have the ET-73 that I've used now for about 3 smokes, including a 13 hour butt smoke and a couple of 6 hour rib sessions. I'm now doing another rib smoke and the remote receiver unit keeps losing the signal even though it's going through just a glass door (at work). In the past, it went through a couple of walls at my house with no problem. It's only 20 feet away.

The problem is that the temp doesn't change on the receiver, but it does change on the trasmitter. So I'm wondering if the batteries might have just lost some juice and won't give the unit enough power. Is that possible, or do the batteries just turn the thing off entirely?

What is the life expectancy on the batteries with these things? Any other ideas on why the receiver is not receiving as it should be?

Thanks,

Curtis

Yeah, it could be the batteries. Swap out new ones and see what happens. Also, make sure your unit is on the receiver side of your smoker.

Greg, I think he means make sure the transmitter is closest to the house (and thus the receiver), rather than on the far side of the WSM.

I'm gonna guess that John means don't put the smoker between the trans. and receiver. The huge hunk of metal may block the signal.

jeff

Curtis, I too had a range issue after the first couple of cooks with mine. I put in some fresh duracells (the best, plus a good customer of the company I work for). That took care of the range problem.

Ed

Yes, I meant what Susan and Jeff said...don't let the smoker block the signal, it's a hefty chunk o metal.

Oh, and another thing, don't use the crappy batteries that comes with the unit, they die pretty quick. I use nothing but Duracells and get a LOT of long smokes out of them. I'll sometimes use a battery checker on older ones, just to be sure they won't let me down on an overniter.

As with John - I get a lot of long smokes out of mine. In fact, I have used it probably 7 or 8 times and am still on the same set of batteries. Considering it is on for about 20 hours each time, that is pretty darn good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back