ET-73 and battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
Ive been loving my ET-73 but recently during a smoke it suddenly lost the signal. Only when I moved the receiver right next to the transmitter, a matter of inches not feet, did it pick up a signal. Could it be that the batteries are going dead? Yes I know to just try new batteries. But also how long is the normal life? Ive used it on two overnights and about 4-6 batches of ribs.

Now that I just typed that I guess the batteries do have some time on them.

If they are the original batteries it is entirely possible that they ran out of juice quickly. Most electronic products I have seen have a little line that say's, "batteries not included". Those that include batteries invariably include the cheapest they can find.

Replace them with dura-cell or another high quality battery and see if you don't get more life out of them. I have just installed fresh batteries in my new (replaced) ET-73, so I don't have enough hours to give you an expected battery life span.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...Only when I moved the receiver right next to the transmitter, a matter of inches not feet, did it pick up a signal... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> the transmitter does not transmit constantly, only on a change. Pehraps you walked the receiver back too qiuckly that is why it seemed you had to position the receiver so close to the transmitter.

My OOOTB batteries have been good for at least 60 hours already.

Thanks for the quick replies. Hes what I can add. The batteries were energizers I swiped from work so they arent the cheapo's. I realize the transmitter doesnt always transmit but in all the cooks Ive never had the readings disappear only to reappear when I moved closer. 60 hours...well two 20+ hour cooks for the butts and 4-6 hour cooks for the ribs...hmmmm.

I just swiped 4 more batteries...
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Depending on you purchase time frame and with the problem units out there I might be inclined to contact Maverick, possibly even try get it replaced just in case.

Ahhh, I think I solved the problem...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The batteries were energizers I swiped from work <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think you are a victim of bad Bar-B-Karma, that's the only explanation I can think of.
icon_wink.gif

Yes Grasshopper, Bar-B-Karma, if Smoking with the WSM is the Yang, then surely swipin' batteries from your employer to get it to work is the Yin. A great challenge awaits you.

ohmmmmmmmmmmm,
Tony
icon_biggrin.gif

The batteries I currently have in my ET-73 have been used in at least 10 12+ hour cooks and have been left on TWICE for 5 days at a time. Yet they are still going!

I saw a post somewhere here months ago about leaving the power on all the time. My current set of batteries has lasted 4-6 months (not sure how long). I do about 2 smokes a month of the pork/brisket variety. I just toss the units in the drawer when I am done WITHOUT temperature probes attached. Seemed wrong initially (to not turn something off) but it seems like it works ok,

-Matt

ET-73 Battery Life Test.

OK, I'm going to run a little experiment. It is now 8:15pmPST on Aug 6, and I'm going to hang my transmitter outside (in a shaded/protected area) with my receiver inside the house on top of my refrigerator.

The original little green cheap batteries,are installed so it would represent something of a worst case scenario. I presume that the "copper top" would perform better. Assuming that I can maintain the discipline required, I'll try to let you know as soon as the batteries die. The refrigerator is about 60' from the transmitter.

I'll probably be using it in the meantime. I was thinking of trying another brisket, but I digress.

I have waay too much time on my hands.

It's 11:20pm PST and the batteries are holding up just fine. I wish the weather here could be as stable as the WSM it drops to ~60F at night and over 100F during the day.

I guess that means the ET-73 gets frequent updates.

Still hanging in there. Temps are consistent from transmitter to receiver.

It's an oblique angle through stucco and UV tinted double glazed windows. I'm as curious as anyone as to how long these batteries will last.

Just for fair and balanced reporting...

As several here already know, I have 4 Nu-Temp 701's, 3 of which are always running. They have no on/off switch, therefore, they stay on all the time. I live in a raised ranch home built in '62 with a brick exterior. My WSM is usually just outside the front door (on the side of the house) but have been inside the garage with a metal (alimnum/steel door) for the last month or so. One of the x-mitters is usually on a chest freezer on the lower level at the opposite end of the house and the other 2 are always with the WSM. The X-mitters take 3 aaa batteries each and the rcvr's take 2 aaa each. In this configuration, it usually takes 7 to 10 months before "low battery" is indicated. Being as the Nu-Temp and the Maverick operate on the same principals, Chets test might take us well into 2005
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill, same here with my NU-701's i have 2 of them. Bryan
I can see it now Chet's going to ring in the newyear with an update
icon_biggrin.gif

Ive changed the batteries and it works better but still not like it was in the past. I used to be able to put the receiver in the second floor but now it will only receive in the first floor.

Test complete:

I noticed today that the communication between transmitter and receiver has stopped. While not strictly a scientific mean time between failure analysis, it is a pretty good inidication that the batteries last a good long while.

The test on the ET-73 started on August 6 and the juice ran out on August 20. Two weeks of continuous use "ain't half bad".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back