Estate Sale Find

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to have a set of these.

Either they didn't make a lot of these, didn't distribute throughout the US, or the people that have them have been keeping this a secret. Never seen or heard them.

I looked at the ones Mac was talking about, but doubt I would get one of those.

Originally posted by Hank D:
[IMG:left]
WeberPerformerwCastIronGrateInauguralRun005.jpg
[/IMG]

[IMG:left]
WeberPerformerwCastIronGrateInauguralRun004.jpg
[/IMG]

Dude!!!

Those are so AWESOME!!!!!

Hank, when cooking direct, do you find that the heat retained in the grate cooks your meat much faster? Have you had to change the amount of coal or vent settings in your cooks? Thanks!

Lawrence,
as you already know, I just lucked onto one of those Lodge C/I grates also, I will report my impressions here after I get to use it, hopefully this weekend.

Funny, I too had never heard of the Lodge C/I grates before Hanks Estate Sale find, and I was jealous, but happy for Hank, then I saw this craigslist post for a Master Touch, and there was no photo of the C/I grate, but the posting stated that it came with an "optional" C/I grate. My first thought, or hope was that it might be one of the Lodge C/I grates... Sure enough that is indeed what it was.. Must be Fate... I am way happy about it.

Corey

Ok, This weekend I had a chance to get some initial impressions of the C/I/G in use.

Saturday day, I cleaned and seasoned the Grate, as it had been stored unused for a long time. It looks like brand new when seasoned!
Saturday night I did some Rib Eye steaks:
IMG_12631.jpg

Overall the steaks came out very tasty, but a bit over cooked for my liking. Indeed, some adjustment is needed on my part in both time, and my charcoal arraingment.

I would say Yes: the C/I definately held heat better than our standard grates, resulting in a faster cook time. I preheated the grate for about 15-20 minutes before I put the Steaks on, the "Sizzle" when those steaks hit the hot C/I/G was incredible !... and I got awesome sear marks.

Sunday, we had a crowd over for a B-Day celebration.
(I did Pepper Stout Beef to feed everyone, and it was great, sorry, no pics of that, I was too busy cooking / entertaining to grab the camera, but it did happen!)
As a back up, to make sure I had enough to feed everyone, I also grilled some brauts, and I used the C/I/G for that also, I only used about 1/3 of a chimney of K, and that was plenty to grill up 10 brauts with out burning or over cooking them ! and I could have done many more, the heat retention is great!

I can already see that the C/I/G will now be my grate of choice, for pretty much any, and all "grilling" type of cooks.
Clean up is simple and easy, it is already showing great non-stick qualities (I understand this gets even better with continued use, proper cleaning, and seasoning)

I still need to dial in my time, and method, for searing of steaks on the C/I/G (I think I went overkill with my charcoal arrangement, and amount, for the first try) But I am sure next time will be better.

I love it !.. If you don't already have a Cast Iron Cooking Grate, and you have the means, or opportunity, to get one, do it, you will not regret it.

Two things, if I was at a Estate sale I would have walked right by these as I never knew they made them.
But now that I know,these would be the CI grates I would buy if the price was reasonable.They look great,and I like the 2 piece look over the 4 piece ones. post a link if they sell these some place.

REBA, OH REBA, PLEASE TAKE YOUR GRATES TO TOWN.....NOW !! AND WHAT A SEAR PIC !!! I'm talking 1 inch +, venison leg steaks in minutes per side...grill marks and heaven !!!
So, I'm in, REBA, probably for two. Where do I send the pittance for a bit of Heaven. Dave

I just queried Lodge and sent them an email. Told them about some of our re-actions, wondered if they would ever consider making them again? Can't hurt. Maybe we all should send them emails.
icon_wink.gif

WOW Man I need one of those bad especially at that price! Like I wasn't already jealous enough of most people on here.
icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by Gary S:
I just queried Lodge and sent them an email. Told them about some of our re-actions, wondered if they would ever consider making them again? Can't hurt. Maybe we all should send them emails.
icon_wink.gif

On page one of this thread I posted that I emailed them with a similar request. I don't think they're interested.

Bill

On page one of this thread I posted that I emailed them with a similar request. I don't think they're interested.
I missed that, but plans can change and maybe people like us in this forum can influence those changes. I know up here the chances to find a grill set like that used, unuse whatever would be between slim and nil. I still they the more emails the better.

As these were originally made for Williams-Sonoma, it would likely require someone like that to place an order to get them made again. Perhaps though Crate & Barrel would be the most likely candidate, as it would be a fantastic option for their custom Performer model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back