Est. times for Brisket - Flat only

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Couldn't find a nice whole brisket so I wound up with a 6 pound flat from Costco. I find my whole briskets usually take 1 1/2 hrs per pound to reach 190 degrees. But what about just the flat? I've got a butt up top.

I could only find a flat too. This is my first brisket. When I looked at the flat, it seems to come ready to cook. I really didn't see much fat to cut off. I got one that had fat covering the entire side of the brisket, but it didn't seem to need trimming. Is this normal when bought as a flat only? If so, seems like a pretty good deal as far as meat prep time goes.

After 9 hrs at about 240 the meat temp is only 177.
Jerry, from what I've read on this site, the flats that come without much fat cap will tend to dry out unless you lay bacon on top or smoke a butt on the top rack to act as an automatic baster. I've always put a butt up top but usually have a whole brisket.

Guys....

The THICKNESS of the flat is the most important aspect in regards to timing. I have no hard and fast rule unfortunately. I have had flats cook in 45 min/lb. and as long as 2 hr/lb. all at about 225º at the grate.

Look for the thickness and cook accordingly.

Sean M
Although I am not a briskett guy any time I Do a single I use the top rack(actually I dont even put the bottom one in)> Makes everything easier to work on if I have to turn or mop and Stuff cooks a bit faster, it is a couple fo degrees warmer at the top rack.Plus i have a thermometer in a top vent so I have a better idea of my temp.s on the top.

Arthur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back