Entertaining this weekend...

Scott Downey

We have guests coming to stay with us this weekend and I am looking for something new to serve. Last time I made ribs & chicken on my WSM. It was a big hit. this time I am looking for something else to go with the ribs.

Right now I am planning on BB ribs, little smokey sausages, and ??? Any ideas for this cook? There will be 4 adults/7 kids.

Thanks,
Scott

The beer can chickens go over well at my house, kids and adults both can eat them. And it doesn't have to be a beer can either, I have tried everything from beer to sprite. Fatties always make a good snack to get everything started. Tri-tips also go well with it. Smoked catfish nuggets are also a good choice for the kids and are done quickly.

Your choices are only limited to cooking space and you already have a good start.

Randy

Hey Scott!
I'm just down I39 / US51 from ya!
Have you thought about bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos on your WSM? (aka ABTs = Atomic Buffalo Turds) They make a great appetizer/side dish. My wife is no pepper fan, but she loved them.
I stuffed mine with smoked string cheese and chopped fresh cherries, wrapped in bacon and then cooked indirect on the Weber kettle, but they are good smoked as well.

BTW, I have a pretty good supply of smoke woods if you are ever in need. Always willing to share with a fellow WSM owner.

The ABTs sound just like what I was looking for. How do you go about making them? How long on the smoker?

Clark: maybe I could trade some homebrew for some smoke wood?

Scott

ABTs.
I cut the stem end off and make a slit down one side to clean out the seeds and veins. If you have a corer you don't need to make the slit. Others will cut in half lengthwise and make 2 "boats."
Then fill with your choice of stuffing: cream, cheddar, mozarella, string, gruyere (sp?). Some will put in left over Q, shrimp, garlic, onions, fruits/berries, whatever sounds good.
Then, wrap the pepper in bacon, covering as best you can to prevent leakage. Hold bacon with tooth picks as necessary. Then smoke/cook indirect until the bacon looks good and done. Likely 1-3 hours depending on how hot you're cooking.
He's a link with lot's of idea's tip's, and pointer's.
The wood is free for any Wisconsin takers, but if you want to donate beer, who am I to argue?

Scott,

Here is a recipe someone shared with me on another site when I had the same question. I have now made these the last 2 weekends and the wife is requesting them again.

Lime Cilantro ABT's

1 package(8 0z I think) of cream cheese, softened.
1 decent-sized clove of garlic, chopped.
salt and pepper to taste.
juice from one lime.
1/4 cup of fresh chopped cilantro.
1 dozen jalapenos.
6 strips of bacon, cut in half.

It is so simple. Cut the top off each jalapeno and remove as much of the membrane and seeds you can. Set them aside.
Mix the softened cream cheese, garlic, salt and pepper, lime juice, and cilantro in a mixing bowl. Put the mixture in a pastry bag(or like I do, a quart-sized plastic bag and cut one of the corners off) and fill each jalapeno. After each one is filled, take a half strip of bacon, wrap it around the top(around in a collar-like fashion or from side to side). Secure bacon to the jalapeno with a toothpick.
Cook and enjoy.

If you want more garlic, add more. Same thing with the cilantro. Not only does the lime juice add flavor, it makes the cream cheese more mixable.

You can either lay these on the grate or what I do is to take a tin pan and make and x in the bottom and then just slide the wrapped jalapeno through the bottom with the pan upside down. You may want to also put some foil underneath them to keep the bottoms from burning.

Also, go to www.irondesert.com for more tips and recipes. Once you try these, you will keep making them.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Back