Enhanced Butt Question

Joe P

TVWBB Member
My neighbor gave me an 8 pound smithfield butt that's enhanced with a water/sodium solution (up to 12% of the weight). Sodium is only 65 mg. per serving. I watched his cat for the week and he was in VA and a fellow BBQer.

I volunteered to cook the for a party we're going to on the 4th of July using the Renowned Mr. Brown recipe and rub that goes with it.

I've made many butts never made one that was enhanced.

Do you see any issues here? Some folks inject their butts, is this similar? I'd hate to bring the pulled pork and not have it live up to my standards.

Any help or input is much appreciated!

Joe

For some people here, an enhanced butt is the end of the world lol. If you make your own rub, cut back the salt, and if you inject for flavor, cut out the salt. I have done many enhanced butts when there were no others to be found. They came out just fine.

The picnic's around here are all enhanced. I don't think there would be much difference between butt and picnic. Anyhow wally world sells picnic's around here at 99 cents a pound sometimes and I usually pick them up at that price. They are enhanced and I haven't had any problem with them at all.

I have only used Mr Brown once so I can't comment about that specificly. I like to use the Durkee six pepper blend. Mainly because it is easy I guess. Anyhow I didn't find the pork too salty or even somewhat salty. Maybe I am just lucky. I have made several enhanced picnics and haven't had salt problem. Now enhanced ribs are another story.

Back