Ends of babybacks....

Tim D.

TVWBB Fan
I smoked 3 racks of babybacks today and had to use a rib rack, due to the size of the racks, inorder to get all three on the top grate. The ends of all three racks came out overdone and drier than the middle. The middle was GREAT, but the ends were not to my liking. Any suggestions on how to keep the ends from drying out?? Thanks to all!

Tim

I've run into the same thing (and I actually enjoy those burnt parts ! I save them for myself and dip them in sauce ) --- But to avoid it, I'd foil the ends just before they're finished cooking.

Tim,

Here is your possible solution.

53819382@N07

I hope the link works, but if not you can check out this thread in Barbecuing:

Simple adjustment that pays great dividends

I had the same problem for a long time and was not interested in opening the smoker to foil the ends, so I foiled the rack just below the ends on both sides and voila! Success! The ends don't burn in the heat chimney on the sides and the ribs come out evenly done. It has worked for me many times now, so give it a try if it makes sense to you. Good luck!

Apparently my like to Flickr didn't work, but you can get the pic from the thread mentioned. Again, good luck!

Awesome!! Thanks so much for the advice. I will try again on Tuesday this week. Blessings!

Tim

Originally posted by T Bounds:
I had the same problem for a long time and was not interested in opening the smoker to foil the ends, so I foiled the rack just below the ends on both sides and voila! Success!

I foiled the sides of the top rack once and the airflow was restricted so much the cook was a disaster. Couldn't get temps up.

Back