End Cap Texture

John-NY

TVWBB Pro
I knew this from other people’s posts, but never saw it firsthand before.

I took a bunch of parts to get a price estimate on sandblasting and the guy did a quick partial “test” on an end cap and handed it back to me.

Now when I painted it, you can see the slick, smooth sandblasted portion contrasted with the original textured finish.

Was the factory texture in the aluminum, or in the finish?

Is there any way we know if to simulate or replicate the textured finish?

If it’s in the aluminum, do we know a specific media that will preserve it?

I kinda think the smooth finish looks horrible by comparison lol

IMG_9631.jpeg
IMG_9632.jpeg

I always figured the texture was in the paint. However, unless you didn't strip the rest of the paint off of that end cap that may not be the case.

I think it depends on the date of production as to the finish applied at Weber. Two sets of end caps I’ve blasted and painted from 95 and earlier, the castings are horrible and had a lot of texture that hid the casting marks. The sets I’ve done from 98 and later were much better looking, post painting

I think it depends on the date of production as to the finish applied at Weber. Two sets of end caps I’ve blasted and painted from 95 and earlier, the castings are horrible and had a lot of texture that hid the casting marks. The sets I’ve done from 98 and later were much better looking, post painting
There could be something to that although I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the castings older or newer. However, the textured finish that was applied at the factory was probably meant to hide any casting imperfections and everybody's experience could be different.

an item on my to-do list is multiple coats using a roller with a thicker nap ( or is it knap?) and then to do a second or third coat while it it tacky to lift some of the paint up with a goal of providing some texture.

I think once I have the texture, a final spray will seal it up well and provide an even sheen.

I've got the talkin part done...

Based on the pictures, that piece has an unusual amount of texture. I believe it is only from paint. Like Bruce and Steve are saying, you can wire wheel all of that off to get to a smooth finish.

The parts that I have had done by my sandblasting guy come out with a slightly rough finish that I feel is not too far off from the more typical finish that I have seen on original unretouched end caps. I personally prefer that, although I can't always have everything sand blasted. I have had a little bit of luck camouflaging a few small missing places in the original textured paint by priming with high heat primer, coating with texture spray paint and then covering with high heat black. I am not saying it is perfect, but as long as the areas are just a few small ones, it is another way to go.

. I have had a little bit of luck camouflaging a few small missing places in the original textured paint by priming with high heat primer, coating with texture spray paint and then covering with high heat black. I am not saying it is perfect, but as long as the areas are just a few small ones, it is another way to go.
I've gone that route before too with good results. I think the key to it looking good when you do that is sanding down the area around the missing paint so that you don't see the low spots.

Based on the pictures, that piece has an unusual amount of texture. I believe it is only from paint. Like Bruce and Steve are saying, you can wire wheel all of that off to get to a smooth finish.

The parts that I have had done by my sandblasting guy come out with a slightly rough finish that I feel is not too far off from the more typical finish that I have seen on original unretouched end caps. I personally prefer that, although I can't always have everything sand blasted. I have had a little bit of luck camouflaging a few small missing places in the original textured paint by priming with high heat primer, coating with texture spray paint and then covering with high heat black. I am not saying it is perfect, but as long as the areas are just a few small ones, it is another way to go.

Do you have a link to the "Texture Spray Paint" you use?

Do you mask off the small areas and only hit them? Or are you doing the whole End Cap with all 3 of those different products?

Back