Emeril's BBQ Contest on Food TV

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Did anyone catch Emeril's BBQ contest last night on Food TV? The winner in the smoked rib category
seemed like he could have been one of us. Except for one thing: he stacked the ribs during the smoke. Yes...right on top of each other, four high. As I understood it, this was an idea borrowed from none other than Emeril himself on a prior show.

I saw the show, and my reaction was much the same: Stack the ribs? Why? I didn't hear any explanation. The recipe on FoodNetwork.com calls for "4 slabs ribs" and says "place ribs in rib rack", no mention of stacking them.

I have a Treager mobile pit that I can do 60 racks laying on the grates. I've done 120 by just placing the ribs back to back, it works fine. If your going to stack you would need to rotate the stack regularly during the cook. It also extends the cooking time quite a bit if the stack is very high.
Jim

Larry
I think the contestant said stacking the ribs helped keep them moist, but neither he nor Emeril offered further explanation.

FYI...you're right, the recipe and the TV show were inconsistent. On TV Emeril used a big stainless steel gas BBQ, but the recipe called for a smoker. I guess the smoker wouldn't be as TV-friendly as the shiny gas grill. Or maybe the show's sponsor made the gas grill.

I love the Food Network, but generally speaking, it is weak on genuine, slow-cooked BBQ.

Peter

It seemed like they were doing that to offset the higher temps of a gas grill. It might work, but I would never try it on a WSM.

You would think Emeril would have a WSM by now..

I saw the show too, it was pretty good but mostly grilling not smoking. There was another one an hour later called "Top Five" which did a show called BBQ Fantasy which was pretty cool. It had Paul Kirk doing a lesson at a guy's house, guys sampling Kansas City BBQ joints, and how to be a BBQ judge, and a custom smoker the size of an oil tanker truck. I believe it's on again tonight on the Food Network but not until 2:30am(!) tonight, I think. Maybe more conducive for the West Coast folks.

I too wondered about the rationale about stacking the ribs and the "lack" of using a smoker. They showed one in the beginning on a rooftop in NYC but in the actual show itself one never surfaced.

On a sidenote did anyone see the following show BBQ bootcamp? I would love to go but for the high price tag I would much rather have it cheaper at a campground than a resort(call me stingy). I mean for $2500 for two people I would want more "class" time and less resort time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bob j:
[qb] Bobby who?
I wonder if he knows how to use it? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Judging from that "boy meets texas girl" episode, no, he doesn't know how to use a WSM.

I watch the food network, and what I thought was smoking would require tons of money and a big hard to use rig. I just despise Bobby Flay, so I have never seen the show people talk about. I do enjoy seeing the wild smokers, wish I had the cash to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back