Electronic hearing protection

Andy Kaminski

TVWBB All-Star
Are any of you using something like this ?
I have always just used my earbuds to keep out harmful noises with the knowledge that it doesn’t really do my ears or hearing much good.
Just riding my lawn mower makes me need hearing protection.
I always seem to do loud things like work with metal or process firewood.
Even when I’m out shooting I constantly have to keep removing my ear plugs to communicate with others and then quickly slap them back in before the next bang and that isn’t always perfectly timed to say the least.

So I went down the hearing protection rabbit hole and got a nice set of Peltos.
They just came in last night so I haven’t fully tested or learned them but they are pretty amazing so far.
I’m digging the technology these have.

They seem to know how to differentiate speech from noise.
I can set them up to act as hearing aids if I want.
They say that you can dial them up all the way while you’re hunting a trail and you can hear every tiny noise but they will eliminate a gun blast.
Mine has Bluetooth for music and audiobooks too (I dig audiobooks when I’m cooking or building something.
The Bluetooth volume is separate from the noise reduction system.
It’s operated from your iPhone or what ever that way you can crank up your noise reduction and dial in your music to your liking.

The one I ended up getting is called the Peltor sport tactical 500 model.
It cost $132 on Amazon with an extra set of gel muff pads.
I think they go for $112 with out the extra pads.

Anyhow I’m new to this but I think I’m going to like these.
Do any of you know any tips or hacks for using something like these?
Thanks.

I use this type of product but from a different brand.
I was very skeptical at first but have found to like them very much........warm out in the sun for sure though.
I wore mine while out last time and it was very hot and there was no shade.....just mentioning as you say you will be cutting grass with them.

Liked them so much I bought a second pair of an even different brand for the MRS.....she likes my set more and so do I.....:oops:

Last edited:
While I fully understand the theory of how the electronic ones work, one thing has always puzzled me. My understanding is in order to counteract the sound (cancel it out), they need to create a sound in the same but reversed amplitude. Which to my understanding means they're putting the same amount of DB into your ears but in opposite wave form or some such thing.
So while it may cancel the noise out, I don't get how it "protects" your ear drums.

I don’t quite get that either Larry.
I probably would have more doubt if I didn’t read or listen to all the reviews that I did.
I do know from friends that own them that they cancel out large gunshot blasts and can increase verbal sounds at more or less the same time
They are advertised as “smart headphones “ but I do have doubts on most claims.
At worst I think I could make them benefit me even if all the claims are not obtained.
I am interested in how they work with my John Deere rider or a chain saw.
Will it make the tools louder? If not why not?
I will find out how these will work for me in the next few days when our guests leave, thinking maybe leaving the guns alone while the wife has company staying with us is the best path :).

Once the noise cancellation wave is emitted/created from the cancellation drivers, the sound waves effectively sum up and disappear. The net result is that inside the ear cup it's quiet, there is no noise in that volume (or very little.)

The firmware in this style of headphone is really the critical piece, how fast can it react to new stimuli, as well as discerning patterns.

I don't really know how they work but to me it seems like.......
They are ear muffs to start so they do offer normal protection as what a regular headset would do for noise.
Then the electronic part is like a microphone, you can adjust the volume on what it picks up.....like people talking or a stick breaking in the woods when tracking animals for example.
I don't think there is any sort of reverse noise cancelation techniques as mentioned above.......

But again I have no idea to be honest.....at the price I picked mine up on sale for you wouldn't think they could make something with crazy technology for that cheap.

Try talking to someone with them turned off.......that helps make what I am trying to say a bit more reasonable.

Gun shot sound has an extremely fast (impulse) amplitude rise time. It's relatively easy to differentiate voice since it's amplitude rise time is relatively slow. I use a set of noise cancelling headphones for music and such. They cancel most sounds, but would not do well with gun shot sound.

And noise cancelling headsets are based on reverse noise cancelation, as explained earlier. It's a technology that's been around for many decades. Advances in electronics have made it both less expensive and far more compact.

Last edited:

Back