Eggs--How old is too old?

S Whipple

TVWBB Member
I'm interested in smoking some hard boiled eggs and I have a carton of eggs which are approaching 4 weeks past the sell by date. Are these eggs to old to safely eat? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

S Whipple

The eggs are safe if you are planning to cook them. Older eggs are best to hard-boil. They would not be good for making fresh mayo or egg-based sauces (though they could easily be made food-safe) because the quality suffers over time. For eggs that you are planning to boil this is not an issue.

The types of pathogens that are most likely present in eggs will be eliminated during boiling. When the eggs are cooked, cool them quickly (by running cold water over them then immersing in chilled water, then fridging) till smoking time. After smoking, cool them quickly again (using the same methods) unless you plan to serve them pretty soon after smoking. If your intent is to peel the eggs prior to smoking do so with very clean hands (or gloved clean hands) and do not handle the eggs once smoked. Use a clean utensil to remove them from the smoker and to cool and package them.

Simple protocols to follow and the eggs--and you--will be quite fine.

I leave my eggs whole when smokeing. If you half them first they will be tuff and rubbery. I'll mix in a little horseradish and Liquid smoke for the devil part to taste. Then finish with garlic salt lightly added to taste. Smoked Devil Eggs is one of the more frequently asked items for me to take to pot lucks.

Back