Eat Your State/Country

Lemme see what I can do. Zambian food is generally to plain for my palate.
They certainly love their salt and oil here (but nothing much else)
I'll put on my thinking cap ;)

This was dinner tonight. It started off being picked to use in "Eat Your Pantry" using "yellow mustard". But I decided to post it here because it is a "Carolina" recipe.

Carolina-Style Barbecue Chicken

1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 TB. mustard powder
2 tsp. hot sauce
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 TB. unsalted butter, melted
8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
vegetable oil for brushing
1 large tomato, sliced

1. Preheat a grill to medium. Whisk the yellow mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard powder, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp. salt, and pepper to taste in a bowl. Whisk in the butter.
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then toss with about one-third of the mustard sauce in a large bowl until coated. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
3. Brush the grill grates generously with vegetable oil. Put about 1/4 cup of the remaining mustard sauce in a small bowl for basting and reserve the rest for topping. Grill the chicken, covered, basting occasionally with the sauce, until well marked and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 170 degrees F, 10 to 12 minutes per side.
4. Serve the chicken with the reserved mustard sauce, and sliced tomato.

Source: Food Network mag.

This is going in the Make Soon file, (real soon says cheese loving DH lol)

Wisconsin Native's Beer Cheese Soup

1 1/2 cups diced carrots
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 1/2 cups diced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups beer
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
4 cups milk or half and half
6 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 TB. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. dry mustard
popped popcorn, for garnish

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together carrots, onion, celery and garlic. Stir in hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and beer; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, heat butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk; cook, stirring until the flour is light brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. Gradually stir in cheese. Keep warm.
3. Stir beer mixture into cheese mixture. Stir in Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and dry mustard. Adjust for hot pepper sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Serve topped with popcorn. Yield- 8 servings

Source: savvyhostess - 5-29-06

While searching for something using turmeric for my other thread, I found this. Have not made this yet, but, maybe I can get DH interested? lol (making it for me, he doesn't like shrimp).

Florida Jambalaya

3 TB. butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 lb. smoked sausage (such as kielbasa), cut into 1/2" pieces
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2" cubes
2 1/4 cups canned chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 4oz. jar sliced pimientos with juice
1/2 tsp. turmeric
Cayenne pepper
1/2 lb. large uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until just soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add sausage; saute until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat with pan juices. Mix in potatoes, broth, wine, pimientos with juices and turmeric.
3. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil; stir well.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until rice and potatoes are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
5. Mix in shrimp and chopped cilantro. Cover and cook until shrimp are just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Serves 4

Source: Bon Appetit 11-92

Shane, I have this article I saved from our local paper many years ago.

Newton, Iowa - In 1919, E. H. Maytag, son of the founder of the Maytag appliance company, got himself a herd of Holstein cattle. Two decades later, the cattle had become famous prize-winners in cow competitions throughout North America. In 1941, Mr. Maytag's son heard about a process for making blue cheese that had been developed by Iowa State University scientists. Maytag Dairy Farms made a deal with the university that allowed them to use the process. It was a great moment in cheese history. Using milk from the famous cows, the cheese that many consider the world's finest blue cheese was created - Maytag Blue
Another family member, Frederick Louis (Fritz) Maytag III, bought the failing Anchor Brewing in San Francisco back in 1965 and brought it back to life. Its signature beer, Anchor Steam, is alive and well today, along with several other great offerings. Evidently the Maytag boys liked food and drink much more than washers and dryers.

Back