Eat Your State/Country

Anne M.

TVWBB Super Fan
Lemme see what I can do. Zambian food is generally to plain for my palate.
They certainly love their salt and oil here (but nothing much else)
I'll put on my thinking cap ;)

Joan

TVWBB Emerald Member
This was dinner tonight. It started off being picked to use in "Eat Your Pantry" using "yellow mustard". But I decided to post it here because it is a "Carolina" recipe.

Carolina-Style Barbecue Chicken

1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 TB. mustard powder
2 tsp. hot sauce
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 TB. unsalted butter, melted
8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
vegetable oil for brushing
1 large tomato, sliced

1. Preheat a grill to medium. Whisk the yellow mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard powder, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp. salt, and pepper to taste in a bowl. Whisk in the butter.
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then toss with about one-third of the mustard sauce in a large bowl until coated. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
3. Brush the grill grates generously with vegetable oil. Put about 1/4 cup of the remaining mustard sauce in a small bowl for basting and reserve the rest for topping. Grill the chicken, covered, basting occasionally with the sauce, until well marked and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 170 degrees F, 10 to 12 minutes per side.
4. Serve the chicken with the reserved mustard sauce, and sliced tomato.

Source: Food Network mag.

Joan

TVWBB Emerald Member
This is going in the Make Soon file, (real soon says cheese loving DH lol)

Wisconsin Native's Beer Cheese Soup

1 1/2 cups diced carrots
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 1/2 cups diced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups beer
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
4 cups milk or half and half
6 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 TB. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. dry mustard
popped popcorn, for garnish

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together carrots, onion, celery and garlic. Stir in hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and beer; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, heat butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk; cook, stirring until the flour is light brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. Gradually stir in cheese. Keep warm.
3. Stir beer mixture into cheese mixture. Stir in Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and dry mustard. Adjust for hot pepper sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Serve topped with popcorn. Yield- 8 servings

Source: savvyhostess - 5-29-06